45 - It Was Your Fear All Along

(Song Recommendation: None.)

"So, when is he taking you to dinner?" Red asked, adjusting her sunglasses. "H-Huh?" Link turned to her, confused. He held the Samoyed puppy from days ago in his arms as Red sipped on her Mcdonalds vanilla milkshake. "Well, he was texting me the other day about taking you out to dinner because he got hurt that one time... And he mentioned maybe taking you to someplace this Friday? Did he mention that to you or did I just ruin the surprise?" She continued, spinning the car wheel to pull into the animal shelter.

"... Y-Yeah, he's been talking about it..." Link scratched behind the puppy's ears, nervous about the moments to come on Friday.

"... T-Then let's plan something... P-Plan to do something this coming Friday. By eleven at night, I'll give you an answer. No more excuses. No more time."

The gang leader lifted his eyebrows and crossed his arms. "And if you don't give me an answer?"

"I will have an answer."

Vulture nodded and stood up, unfolding his arms to push a hand through his hair. "Fine. We'll plan something for Friday night and if you don't have an answer, I'll leave."

"... W-What do you mean, leave?"

"I mean that I'll leave your life for good. You can get on with your own shit and you can leave the gang. I'm not making any promises that you won't be taken by another... There's a lot of Red Gazelle and Sewage Rats around here..."

Link sighed and pushed his hair behind his ear. "I won't stay with you for protection and safety or sex and money. I'll stay with you if I decide that I do love you."

Vulture sat down on the bed again with a chuckle. "That's what they all say..."

"Ah, I see... I have a feeling it might be somewhere quiet and romantic. He's always been a sucker for those places... Who knows, he might take you to Alinea, Everest, Acadia... There's so many..." Red smiled, pulling into a parking spot before throwing open the car door. Link quickly stepped out of the other side, the warm puppy in his arms, and raced around to Red's side. "T-They sound expensive." "They are. Probably the most expensive restaurants in Chicago... But they're worth every penny, as I've heard... As a matter of fact, I took a trip to Toronto a while ago and Acadia was there. The food is fantastic but expensive."

Red proceeded to go on and it almost caused a disruption amongst the small animals and pets in the shelter.

Seconds later, there was paperwork. Too much paperwork, one could say. Whilst Red was filling out most of the sheets, Link was showing the small Samoyed puppy to a young girl in a seat near him. "Is it a he?" She asked with a smile. "I think so." The teen replied anxiously, allowing the child to hold the dog. She gasped in delight, hugging it and holding it close. "Are you adopting him?" "Well... He was a stray that I found the other night... My friend and I figured it'd be best to bring him to the nearest shelter-"

"Can I adopt him?"

"... W-Well... I-I don't see why not... Right, Red?" Link turned to her nervously, nudging her arm.

"Oh lord, take him." She sighed in relief, putting down the papers.

Needless to say, the two left the shelter practically drowning in some form of calm relief. They knew the puppy was safe and their secure thoughts made them smile throughout the drive home. "I think he was better off with the girl compared to the shelter's clutches... Shelters kinda scare me... The poor dogs and cats there are sometimes mistreated..." Red sighed, starting up the car with Link beside her in the passenger seat. "... I-I had no idea... Did Sean adopt Ivory from a shelter?"