Chapter 43 - Dragons blood

Lilly's POV

"So you lived here alone with the dragons for the last nineteen years?"

Valka nodded and smiled while she roasted a fish over a small fire. "I couldn't bear that my village was constantly fighting against the poor dragons and one day Cloudjumper decided to bring me here. He knew I didn't belong to them."

She sat down beside me and handed me a plate of fish. I took it thankfully and looked into Valka's friendly eyes, feeling nice and warm around her. "I always thought I was the only one."

She tilted her head in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"When I was five years old, I fell off a ship but Jali, a Scauldron and Shadow here saved me. They took me to their island and raised me. I lived with them for thirteen years all alone till I found my family again a few months ago. Or what remained of it. It felt so strange to live with other people again. But up to this day Jali and Shadow were the only family I knew."

I stared down at my food with quivering lips as memories of Viggo flashed through my mind, it hurt to think about him. My appetite was gone and I felt like I was going to be sick as a lump built in my throat. I miss you brother, it's all because of me. I had hoped that we could finally be a family again, I wanted you to be happy, but now you're gone.

Squeezing my eyes shut I suddenly felt Valka's hand touch mine. "You lived just like me." I looked up and saw Valka frown slightly at my sad face. "If you want to go back to your family, I will help you." she said softly and I couldn't hold back the tears any longer.

"I have no family anymore. They're all dead! My brother and grandfather tried to escape with me but Drago killed them both!" I threw my plate across the cavern in desperate rage causing Cloudjumper to jump slightly and Shadow gave a worried purr.

"Sshh, it's okay to be angry Lilly. Drago is a horrible man. You and Shadow can stay here with us if you like, you're safe here, Shadow's babe will be safe." Valka gently wrapped an arm around my shoulder and I allowed myself to rest my head on hers, crying bitterly. I nodded weakly and whispered. "Thank you."

Valka waited patiently till my crying slowly subsided, constantly rubbing my arm in a soothing manner. Finally I had no more tears to shed and got hiccups as an aftereffect of crying.

"Lilly can I ask you something?"

I sniffed and nodded, my head still on her shoulder.

"How can you understand what the dragons are saying?"

Lifting my gaze I saw Valka looking at me with honest fascination. I tried to speak but only a squeak left my mouth. Clearing my throat I tried again. My voice was still weak but audible. "Before my grandfather died he told me of the tribe I come from and how it came into existence a long time ago. At a place called the sapphire island..."

"...lived the guardians of dragons, heirs and protectors of the old dragon blood." I was interrupted by Valka and stared at her open mouthed. "I know the story about the dragon's child, but I always thought it was just a fairytale." Her eyes widened as she cupped my face with her hands, obviously intrigued. "You are the dragon's blood. That's unbelievable. No wonder Drago wanted to enslave you." she whispered.

My gaze hardened as she mentioned his name again. "Valka please let me help you. I've seen the horrible things Drago does with dragons, he lets them starve to death if they're to weak in his eyes. Please let me help you destroy his traps and free dragons."