Chapter 72 - Escaping the trappers

Astrid's POV

Hel broke loose on the ship the second the front mast took fire. Men ran around, yelling and heading to the catapults while others tried to extinguish the spreading fire with buckets of water.

I clutched the metal bars of the cage tightly. "We need to get out of here!"

"Yeah and what then? Our dragons are out cold, remember?" Snotlout snarled.

"Meatlug is not." Fishlegs interjected.

"Oh yeah as if that is of much help..." Snotlout grumbled, still leaning against the walls of the cage.

"Hey! Meatlug is just as important as all other dragons!" Fishlegs got mad and I rolled my eyes, turning my head to the boys.

"Will you two just shut up for a moment! I can't even hear myself thinking." I snapped at them when suddenly Ruffnut screamed hysterically and cowered herself on the floor. My eyes widened in shock, not comprehending what just happened to her and was about to say something when Tuffnut reached his left arm out of the cage and called out to the guard that should keep an eye on us.

"Please, my sister, this is all too much for her faint heart!"

The guard grumbled and shot Tuffnut a glare. "Why should I care?"

A loud screech caught our attention as the black dragon shot down again, dodging the nets around him and shot his flames down on one of the catapults, hitting one of Robert's men. He stumbled and flailed his arms in anguish as his clothes caught fire and screamed in a high pitched tone that made my skin crawl. Then he stopped screaming altogether and collapsed to the floor as the flames consumed his body.

The guard shifted, crossing his arms in front of his chest and followed the dragon's movements with visible unease. Ruffnut cried out once again, even louder and more hysterical than the first time and the guard turned to Tuffnut.
"Make her shut up! She will drag the dragon's attention to us!"

"Hardly possible, you should've witnessed her break down when a rat crawled into our hut. It took me hours to make her climb down from the table and stop screaming. My poor, poor sister never had a strong heart." Tuffnut put his hand over his heart and sighed unduly before he pointed to the bottle of water hanging from the guard's belt. "But maybe a sip of water would help to calm her nerves."

The guard shifted from one foot to the other, not sure whether to give in or not. Then Ruffnut gave another dramatic cry and the guard huffed, moving close to the cage to hand the bottle over to Tuffnut. "Fine let her drink, but do it quickly."

I stared at Ruffnut, bewildered. Out of all people Ruffnut would surely not lose her nerves that easily. Then everything went very fast. The guard moved closer to the cage, Ruffnut got up, fumbling with something behind her back and grinned. The face of the guard went white as he sensed the trap close but before he could react Tuffnut reached through the cage and smashed the man's head against the metal bars. A groaning sound left his mouth and soon turned into a painful yelp as Ruffnut's dagger embedded itself into the man's flesh. He fell to the ground with a low thud.

My eyes went wide with shock as I stared at the twins. "Did you just...?"

"Manage to get us the keys? Yes we did." Tuffnut grinned as he undid the keys from the guards belt, swinging it back and forth in front of my eyes.

"You really should have more trust in the Thorston twintuition Astrid." Ruffnut stated, wiping blood from her blade.

"Wait did you just pull that from your...you know." Snotlout interjected, pointing to Ruffnut's backside.