Chapter 83 - Victory or defeat?

Viggo's POV

My head felt like it would explode. I groaned, then shook under a violent coughing fit and tried to bring my hands up to cover my face only to notice that someone was holding my arms in a firm grip. There were crying and whimpering sounds all around me but I could hardly make out where they were coming from. The air around me was cold and I shivered. Where am I?

There were other voices too, talking to me or were they?

I raised my head a bit too quickly and instantly regretted it. Damn, that hurt... My vision was blurry but there was a face staring straight back at me. I blinked once, then twice and slowly my vision started to clear.

"Sir...Viggo!"

The face cleared up and I found myself staring back into the blue eyes of a grey bearded man. He kept on talking things that I could hardly comprehend.

"Our people need their chief! We need to get you back on your feet again."

Then the man got up without letting go of my arms and suddenly I found myself being pulled up into a standing position. Black dots danced before my eyes and I groaned, feeling a sharp sting in my stomach. I swayed but was held upright by the grey bearded man, who placed one of my arms round his shoulder while he rested his other arm around my waist.

"Come on chief, you can do it." the voice insisted. It seemed so familiar. I tried to take a step but my feet weighed a ton. I blinked again. The face...that was Magnus. And he needed the chief for something...no wait...oh... needed me for something.

"Tsh...tshief..." I tried to speak, but it came out as a croak. "I am...the tshief..."

"Yes you are and now you need to come with me." Magnus said and only then did I realize his face was black with ashes. How strange.

I swallowed and looked around me, my vision was spinning but I realized I must be in a dark long room crowded with people. Their worried and frightened faces popped in and out of my sight. It was almost like a tunnel...wait a tunnel?

Then I remembered.

We had a feast...but weren't we supposed to be still celebrating? My mind tried to puzzle together how I got into this position but came up blank...the last thing I new was there was the light of a fire, so bright it was almost blinding and a dragon, there was a dragon in the flames and not only a dragon but also...

Something cold was pressed to my lips and I startled from my thoughts. "Here, drink. It will help."

My eyes stared into light blue ones and I had to blink two times till I realized they belonged to Martha's friendly face. I parted my lips and swallowed greedily as water was poured into my mouth. It was an indescribable relief for my achingly dry throat.

Not one drop remained in the cup as Martha lowered it again. I had to cough a few times and my stomach revolted against the liquid it just received but managed to keep it in. Slowly I felt my senses returning and knitted my brows in confusion.

Martha was here? But wasn't she missing?

I raised my head to get a better look and noticed her standing next to Nanna who held Agatha's arm in a tight grip. Martha's neck was awfully bruised but she and Nanna had a look of relief written upon their faces while Agatha glared at me with unconcealed hatred. The walls of the tunnel shook under a violent impact and the sound of screaming men and the roaring of dragons reached my ear.

My stomach stung painfully as the feeling of dread spread through my body. Something was terribly wrong here...

I turned my head to Magnus, who still held me upright. "Wha..." I began but my own voice sounded foreign to me, weaker somehow and my tongue was still heavy. I gulped and tried again. "Wh-wha's goin on?"