Chapter 69 - Training

Viggo's POV

"Focus on your defenses Lilly!"

The wooden fence that circled the training area next to the stables creaked as I leant forward. Lilly and Hiccup stood in the middle and I sighed as Hiccup had his wooden training sword against Lilly's neck again. The boy really tried his best but Lilly was still too hesitant.

"You have to fight like you mean it, little flower!"

She groaned in frustration as Hiccup let go. "But I do mean it!" she exclaimed and turned to Hiccup. "It's just I don't want to hurt you, Hiccup."

"Don't worry about me Lilly, just try and imagine I'm Drago again. Okay?" Hiccup tried to encourage her and cupped her cheek with his hand. Lilly leaned into his touch and smiled a little. For a few moments they stayed like that, just staring at each other like some lovesick dorks. I raised an eyebrow and cleared my throat. It was truly annoying.

"As we don't have all day I suggest you two go on." I raised my voice a bit and the two of them startled a little before they got themselves in position again.

"What am I supposed to do with them my friend?" I muttered only for Fulgur to hear who had himself curled up next to me. The dragon raised his head and stared at me with his yellow eyes before he turned his attention to Lilly and Hiccup. He made a sound that sounded very much like a laughter and rested his head back down in obvious disinterest. "You are not helpful at all, you know that?" I added only to hear Fulgur's dragon chuckle again.

I couldn't shake off the feeling that something had changed between Hiccup and Lilly. It was the way they interacted with each other, how Hiccup would wrap his arm around her waist while they walked through the town, how their hands lingered just a moment longer every time they touched. Everything seemed more intimate and less awkward than before.

If I'd said it didn't bother me, it was a lie. Deep down I felt like Hiccup was replacing me and even more than that, filling parts in my sisters life that I couldn't. She would not need me anymore if she had him. I loathed it.

But Hiccup made her happy, there was no doubt and I promised her that everyone that gets in the way of her happiness would meet my wrath. So I must meet my own wrath then it seems.

The sound of footsteps coming closer shook me from my thoughts and I turned to see Eira strolling down the path to the training ground. A wide smile spread on her face as she stepped to my side and leaned against the fence, imitating my position.

"Eira." I gave a small nod to greet her. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"What, can I not come just to spend some time with you?" she mocked and inched a bit closer.

I gave a short laugh. "Yet we both know it is not the reason you came. So what will you have of me, my dear?"

Eira's eyes sparkled and her bright laughter filled my ears. "Always down to business aren't you Viggo? But if you would like to have it this way, I will get straight to the point. My men and I traveled a long way to answer your call for help. Surely they deserve some kind of appreciation for their efforts."

"And that would be?" I asked, my eyes never leaving hers.

"A feast in honor of the isle of Solsteinn who came to secure the survival of your tribe through the winter and a nice warm bed for my men in your best tavern. The cots on our ship can get quite uncomfortable with time." she replied.

I gave a short nod in agreement. "I do trust you will keep your men under control?"

"They won't cause any trouble, I assure you."