Chapter 49 - Claiming back a title

Lilly's POV

I didn't know how long we were already flying, it could have been six hours, maybe eight given the fact that the sun was already sinking beneath the horizon, dyeing the sky in bright orange and red. It didn't matter though, it would take us at least two more days to reach our island if we manage to fly the whole day without remarkable breaks. My whole body ached and my legs felt numb from staying in the same position for hours.

Feeling Hope stir in my lap, I looked down and found her staring at me with big green eyes. She squeaked and started to nibble at my fingers. "She's hungry." Shadow turned her head to look at the tiny black dragon and I gave a small nod in understanding.

"We need to find a place to rest."

Letting my gaze wander, I made out the form of a small island on the horizon and called out for my brother, who was leading us together with Stoick.

"Viggo!"

He turned his head to look at me and I pointed to the distant island. "We need to rest." He nodded, following my gaze.

"Alright, let's set camp for the night on this island!"

Soon enough we landed at a rocky shore and I jumped off Shadow's back with wobbly legs and tumbled. I tried to get hold of Shadow to prevent me from falling when I suddenly felt warm arms wrap around my waist, keeping me on my feet.

"Whoa...careful milady." Hiccup chuckled, his hot breath tingled in my ear and I felt heat creep up my cheeks.

"Hiccup, I told you...don't call me a lady." I muttered under my breath and the heat in my cheeks intensified when I realized everyone was staring at us. Hiccup chuckled again, but let go off me immediately as he noticed the staring too, his own cheeks turning lightly pink.

My brother furrowed his brows and I could swear I heard him growl in annoyance before he broke the awkward silence. "Let's find a place to set camp, shall we?"

Picking up Hope once again to let her rest on my shoulder, I followed our group into the woods when I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning my head I realized it was Astrid walking beside me. "So...uhm...Lilly, I just wanted to tell you, that it's good to have you back. Hiccup didn't stop blaming himself for what happened to you. It broke my heart to see him like this..." she paused and looked me straight in the eye. "He really cares a lot for you, I have realized that now."

I turned my gaze to the back of Hiccup's head who was walking a few steps ahead from us, talking with his mother and smiled. They seem to get closer to each other.

"And you should've seen Viggo, he was so determined to save you. Johann tried to kill him and we really feared that he wouldn't make it at first. He was terribly injured, but your dragon, Jali, saved him." Astrid continued.

Jali saved him?

I stared at her in shock and felt a sting in my heart at the thought of my big blue friend, I missed him.

"Viggo didn't say a word about that." I knitted my brows but Astrid hurried to continue.

"I'm sure it's only because he doesn't want you to worry about him. I never thought he could even care about someone at all." She shook her head slightly when Ruffnut joined our conversation.

"Yeah and the way he killed that bastard Johann was just awesome, Berk will talk about that for years." she said excitedly and Tuffnut nodded in approval.