TWENTY SEVEN

Ruby walked up on stage, tilting the microphone down to his height. "Now is time for one final dance, can everyone please grab a dance partner?"

Oscar held out his hand to Ximena, who groaned, "My feet are killing me."

"Stop being a baby, one more dance," he nodded his head towards the dance floor, "Please?"

"Fine," she took his head, standing up, "but you owe me a massage later." Everyone stepped on the dance floor, hand in hand. Monse and Cesar, Ruby and Olivia, Ximena and Oscar. Ximena watched her sister, a wide smile on her face, "I've never really seen her so happy."

"I could say the same for Cesar," he gestured behind Ximena. Cesar ducked his head down, giving Monse a quick kiss as they danced. "I guess tonight wasn't completely-"

A single gunshot caused the world to turn silent. Screams and cried erupted through out the backyard as another shot rang out and another.

Ximena landed on the ground, a sharp, painful sensation exploding up her spine and all air escaping her lungs in shock. She watched the feet of the guest run back and forth, her eyes darted left and right silently crying for help. She turned her head slowly, watching as Ruby and her sister laid on the same ground as her. Ximena tried to push herself on off the ground, but her body felt so heavy.

The sounds of everyone around her drowned out and only a hum became present. She could feel someone pick her up, lifting her off of the floor. Ximena's arm limply draped over Oscar's neck as she stared up at him, struggling to keep her eyes open.

She could see him crying, as he pled for her not to close her eyes but she couldn't hear him. Her entire body felt as if it was on fire but she couldn't find the strength to scream. Her left arm hung almost lifeless as Oscar ran through the house, her in his arms and Cesar behind him.

Ximena watched as Oscar yelled at Cesar, who quickly opened the car door and pushed the front seat forward. Oscar jumped in the back, carefully placing Ximena's head on his lap and her legs on the seat.

He pounded on the driver's seat yelling to hurry as Cesar went around to get in.

The last thing Ximena remembered feeling was the goosebumps on her arms as Oscar caressed her face. The motion of him rocking her back and forth in his arms as Cesar drove. The wetness of his tears as they fell from his eyes onto her chest.