II. SEVEN

"So I have amazing news!" Jamal stormed into the guest room, to find Ximena sitting on the loveseat.

"Alright," Ximena sighed, moving over so he could sit down.

"How would you like to stay here?"

"What do you mean? Like, live here?" The girl questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

Jamal nodded eagerly in response

"But this is your mom's office, doesn't she need it?"

"She's willing to let you stay here so you can finish the school year."

"I can't, Jamal, this is her space."

"She said it's fine, Ximena. It's just for a couple of months."

"Okay, but I'm going to start to pay your parents some rent, I'm no vaga."

"Whatever you want, X."

Suddenly, Jamal's phone started ringing and vibrating. He sighed, rolling his eyes as he put the phone to his ear. "Yes, Ruben?"

"Put Ximena on the phone," the girl could hear the voice say on the other line. She gave Jamal a confused look, who just shrugged in response.

He passed her the device and she put it up to her ear, "Uh, hello?"

"Your boyfriend is bugging."

She groaned, "What now?"

"What now? Well, he dragged me out of my wonderful bed to some maldita fiesta."

"Wait, he took you to a party?"

"Yeah!"

"Where?"

"At the Santos house, where else?"

"And why are you calling me about this?"

"Because he's your boyfriend and you're going to tell him to leave me alone."

"Why can't you? I don't control what Oscar does, especially now."

"Because I don't have the courage or the height and built to stand up to him."

Ximena sighed, hanging up the phone, grabbing her jacket, "I'll be back, Jamal."

Ximena closed the broken down, wooden gate behind her as she entered the backyard. She hated coming here. The smell of familiar piss and rotten food filled her nostrils, making the girl's face flare up. Heads began to turn towards her direction, stares and looks from strangers and men she had seen before. Some of Oscar's friend's gave her a nod while girls gave her death glares. Ximena fixed her hair, feeling uncomfortable. She could see Ruby, yelling and pointing to other members, calling them over.

"You, with the shaved head! And you with the other shaved head. Ven aquí!"

He gestured to their disgusting surroundings, "We're going to feng shui these things now." The gangsters looked at each other in confusion. The teenager sighed, "Okay, who brought the apps? I respect the attempt, but come on! A chip must support the dip, the veggies should be served cold, and the guac is store-bought. What kind of a Mexican are you? This party flow is all wrong, people. I want stations!" The men began getting to work, quickly.

Ximena walked over to Ruby, chuckling, "I see you don't need my help anymore."

"I had to take matters into my own hands, if I'm staying here I might as well make it enjoyable."

Ximena crossed her arms over her chest, looking around, "Is Oscar around?" Ruby hesitatingly nodded, pointing behind her. Ximena glanced over her shoulder slightly. He was talking a long haired brunette, who was standing a little too close. She had her hand on his chest, hitting it lightly as he continued to make her laugh. A fire began burning in Ximena's stomach and she stretched her hands before rolling them into small fists.

"Cálmate," Ruby placed a hand on her shoulder, distracting her, "he wouldn't stop asking me about you all day."

Ximena rolled her eyes, "I don't even care. It's not like we're together, right?"

"Yeah, sure," Ruby scoffed, "you plan on staying?"

"Only to keep an eye on you."

"Mario!" Ruby cupped his hands over his mouth, calling over a boy who was wearing a baseball cap. He seemed a little bit older than Ximena, he was taller. Ximena had heard things about him from Jamal but never had the actual pleasure of meeting Mario. She just knew that her room used to be his old room. He walked over, a cup in his hand.

"What's up?"

"I want you to meet Ximena," Ruby gestured to the girl, who waved awkwardly.

"Aren't you gorgeous?" Mario slyly smiled, grabbing the girl's hand. He pressed his lips against the back of her palm, slowly returning her hand to her side. She tilted her head to the side, raising her eyebrows,

"Don't you have a pregnant girlfriend?"

Mario coughed, clearing his throat, "Alright, I guess that's the end of this conversation."