II. THREE

As the three walked down the aisle of the bodega, Ximena gave Ruby an annoyed look. "Thank you," she mouthed to him, sarcastically.

He groaned, turning to Oscar, "How many times can I say I'm sorry? I know I stepped out of line, but I really don't have time to be your valet."

"We need to grab a few nopales," Oscar ignored him.

"We need a cart," Ximena said as she struggled to hold up the basket.

Ruby nodded, "Yeah, this is getting heavy."

"Do y'all ever not complain?" Oscar looked over his shoulder, starting to get irritated by the whining.

"Well, no one told you to bring us," Ximena rolled her eyes.

"So, Ruben, what else don't you like about me?" Oscar questioned, picking up some items as he went down the aisle.

Ruby shook his head, "Nope. I'm not falling for that."

"It's not a debate. What else don't you like?"

"Is this like queen-for-a-day sitch? It's a legal expression whereby someone can say anything they want and their words can't be used against them."

Oscar shrugged, "Speak, queen." He stopped, turning around to look at the teenager.

Ruby glanced at Ximena before looking up at Oscar. He cleared his throat, "Well you guys call yourself the Santos, the Saints, and yet you hurt people. So what's the point of you, really?"

Oscar got into his face quickly, "You coming at me?" Customers in the store began to look towards their direction and Ximena immediately started to feel embarrassed. Oscar turned back around and kept walking, "But I didn't start this one."

"Yeah, said the complicit one."

"You like history?"

"World or American?"

"Freeridge, doesn't get more American than that. Back in the day the pinches prophets terrorized Freeridge. Didn't matter who you were. Paletero trying to make a living, viejita coming home from church. You were a target. They went to the cops but you know how that goes. Until finally, Lil' Ricky said 'no mas'. This neighborhood is his familia, and you don't mess with family. He started the Santos to protect the hood."

"Great," Ruby chuckled, "So then you had two groups terrorizing the neighborhood."

"Terrorizing? You mean, protecting. It's complicated," Oscar paused, staring at Ximena, "The Santos are a family. Families are complicated."

"What do you know about family? You threw your brother out!"

"You what?" Ximena questioned.

"I said it's complicated! Cuchillos made that call," Oscar argued, "and no one questions Cuchillos."

"Cuchillos can suck a dick!" Ruby screamed, earning gasps and stares from everyone in the store. He soon calmed down, "Look, all I'm saying is if you're a saint, then save people. Don't kill them."