II. FIFTEEN

Ximena fanned Monse off as the girl tried to keep from sweaty so much. Jasmine snapped her fingers at the teenagers, "This is no longer a fire drill, but a full-on three-alarm blaze.But, if you remember what we practiced, nobody gets burned. It's all about confidence, which I know is gonna be hard for you, because, you know, all of that. But you are no longer Monse, the slouchy 14 year old with ashy knees and shitty split ends. No. You are Paloma Vincent, a fiery 19 year old from Stockton. And you, you are no longer Ximena, the overly skinny Santo side chick. You are 21 year old, Theresa Escobedo, the psychology major who attends USC."

The three watched as the woman in front of them finished her transaction and walked away from the window. Jasmine pushed the two forward, "Okay. Y'all are up."

"Can I help you?" The woman behind the counter smiled.

Jasmine pushed past Ximena and Monse, leaning her arms on the counter, scaring all three of them. "Girl, let me tell you about her man," Jasmine raised her voice as she waved her finger around, "He ain't shit! He had the nerve to get her knocked up. Then left her high and dry as soon as baby little Maximilian was born. And then he thinks that if he sends her money every once in a while, that's gonna make everything all right. But, girl, please! Paloma here is a G! The last thing she needs is a man like that. She may not be much to look at, neither is her friend over here but-"

"Holy shit! We did it!" Jamal exclaimed, throwing his hand up in the air as they all left the Money Bunny location. Ximena smiled as Ruby began jumping from excitement, "Yes! Yes!" The four watched as Jasmine ran in front of them to the nearest garbage can, puking everything that had been in her stomach. They each made a face at her. Jamal shook his head, "Guess she's not straddling anymore."

They continued walking as Monse looked next to Ximena, smiling at her, "Cesar is gonna be so happy." Ximena returned the smile.

"Where's Jasmine?" Ruby questioned, sighing before turning around to Jasmine, still busy throwing up, "Jas! Hurry up!"

Jasmine picked up her head out of the garbage can, wiping her mouth with the back of her head, "I'm okay, I think but I'm pretty sure I number three'd myself."

"What is number three?" Ximena laughed, looking at Ruby, who put his hands up as he continued walking.

"I don't even know nor do I want to."

The four were about to cross the street when a green car, with three men in the car, stopped in front of them. One of the men, held his arm out of the window, pointing to the group, "Monse! Where that bitch-ass boyfriend of yours at?" They both wore green, bandanas included in their attire, obviously symbolizing that they were Prophets. Everyone stopped, paralyzed with fear. Ximena's breath stopped as she stared at the men. The driver of the car had his eyes glued on her in almost something similar to anger. Like he knew her, like she had done something to him.

"Hey, we already know he ain't at your pop's spot no more," the man continued, "so where he at, then? And we already know what's up with y'all." The man laughed, hitting his friend in the chest. He held up his hand, his fingers symbolizing a gun as he gestured to Ximena and Ruby, "Bang!"

Ximena sat on her bed, her hands in her lap, staring off into space as the door opened. A few knocks were heard before the door was open widely. Jamal's father stood, a confused look on his face as he looked at the teenager.

"Hey," he said, softly, "Logan's here to see you?"

Ximena nodded, straightening up on the bed, "Okay." Jamal's father smiled slightly before exiting, letting Logan come to the door.

He entered the room, shutting the door softly behind him, "Hey." Ximena took a second to take in his current appearance. She had never seen him outside of work attire so seeing him in casual clothing for the first time was kind of weird.

"Hi," she greeted, moving over on the bed so he could sit.

He looked at her, a concerned look in his eyes, "You okay?"

Ximena shook her head, chuckling lightly, "No, not really."

Logan put his arm over his shoulder, bringing the girl into him and she let herself fall on his chest, "Hey, whatever you're going through, it's going to be okay. You're going to be okay."