twenty one

April's POV

April 8, 2018

"Your birthday is in 4 months," I giggle as I lean my phone against my shoulder and ear, taking out my books before locking my car door. "Your birthday is in 4 months and 2 days," Shawn replies and I feel my cheeks flush.

I never thought I'd be on campus on a Sunday afternoon, actually going to class. "Yeah, remember last year?" I laugh and Shawn makes kissing noises. 

I'm failing my classes and it sucks because I've been having a change of heart, I always wanted and was told I would be an orthodontist when I'm older but thinking about it now, I don't get that feeling I used too.

Like do I really wanna do this for so long? School? I barely can stand it now, always looking for a way out of class, not trying hard enough, and I'm just sick of the college life.

And we all know my online time is dedicated to Twitter and Instagram..

So ultimately, I honestly don't know what to fucking do; Josiah tells me that I should take on photography, he sees how dedicated I am to just get the perfect picture, also modeling too. I think I'd be a good model, I'm dating a celebrity; everyone knows who I am already.

I see the beauty and the pain of life through camera lenses and need to capture the moments forever.

"How's Europe? Is it cold there?" I ask Shawn, I missed him already. We hung out all spring break in New York. "No, it's actually not. I'm hanging out with some fans now on the streets." He turns FaceTime on and shows me, it looked so beautiful there.

"Well, okay. I don't wanna keep you waiting, tell them I say 'hey' and be safe. I love you."

"I love you more, baby girl." He hangs up and I smile lightly as I walk into the lecture hall.

"Ms. Nunzio, your meeting started 8 minutes ago." My professor sternly raises an eyebrow and I breathe out, knowing how torturous this is going to be. "Traffic," I reply taking a seat across from him at his desk.

We spoke for about 15 minutes, Mr. Porto already knew much about me, he goes to my mother's hair salon and we all know if she's taken one thing from New York City, it's her ability to brag and brag and brag for hours on end.

Must be the clients' quickest haircut ever considering she'll just talk and talk and snip and snip snip snip.

"You aren't going to fail, April. Your grades are outstanding, you just gave a tendency to shut down and give off this unbothered vibe when you're not interested. In this class we go from topic to topic-"

"Professor, I'm having a change of heart. You know my internship doesn't last forever, I actually have to get on with my life soon and honestly, I changed. My interests changed as well." I admit, looking over to the chalk board with written formulas and graphs.

"You have an A in Calculus, a C is anatomy," Porto raises an eyebrow and I shrug, embarrassed. "Another A in your History class, was it African Culture you are studying?"

"Yes." I nod and he smiles closing his book. "I can tell, you're not happy with your sciences. Changing isn't a bad thing, Ms. Nunzio."

"It never was," I finish and he scrunches his face and I laugh, those are Shawn's lyrics.

"Finish off the semester, shoot your shot in the summer. You're going to graduate on time."

***

"It's my most vulnerable song, April. I don't want them to forget that." Shawn looks down from the camera screen and sighs. I pout and lay back in my bed. "They adore In My Blood, baby. But releasing Youth, will be remarkable."