Why You Gotta Be So Mean?

Prompt: popular lauren and nerdy camila

I sat at the back of class, like I usually did. Maths wasn't my strongest subject. I'd almost failed it on several occasions. I wasn't going to blame it on anybody but myself... but it certainly didn't help that the prettiest girl in school, Lauren Jauregui, always sat near me. I mean, she was just so mesmerising with her gorgeous dark hair and her bright green eyes. She was always so nervous in maths class and sometimes she genuinely looked sad, which really upset me because she was so beautiful, she definitely didn't deserve to be upset. She wasn't really any good at maths either. But every now and then we'd make eye contact and she'd smile at me. Maths was my least favorite class, but my favorite part of the day.

The bell rang and I was caught off guard again, staring at Lauren again. I looked around awkwardly, hoping nobody noticed, her especially. I gathered my books up and headed out of the classroom, my bag slung over my shoulder. The hallways were always so busy during lunch breaks, and it really frustrated me. I didn't have very good social skills, and people always made me feel so nervous. So I quickly made my way to my locker and tried to hurry so I could find myself a quiet spot to read.

There was a little bench at the back of the school that hardly any people sat at. I would usually take a few books and read as much as I could during the hour break. I didn't have any friends, nor did I need them. I mean, sure I got a little lonely from time to time. But I was okay with that. I just hadn't found the right people yet.

"What are you reading this time, loser?"

But occasionally there was trouble, I suppose. More like, all the time. But I was used to it.

"She's always reading about some stupid fantasy world. She's a complete freak."

"Who actually reads these days, that's what movies and television is for!"

"You'd think if she'd read it'd be a half decent book anyway."

I looked up at the four people standing in front of me. One of which... just happened to be Lauren Jauregui. But she was glancing around awkwardly, a frustrated expression on her face, trying not to make eye contact with me. She was a popular girl. Almost everybody liked her, and basically everybody was her friend. So it didn't surprise me that she'd be hanging out with the girls who usually tormented me. But it stung my heart to know she was doing nothing about it.

"The Wizard of Oz...?" I asked, looking down at the book I was holding. I must have looked like a child, holding such a book. But it really was a good book, and the illustrations were beautiful, "This is a really good book..." I said quietly, "I know you think it might seem stupid... but they're really good books. There is more to it than in the movie. Though, the movie is great..."

"We don't fucking care," ranted one of the girls, who was a blonde with brown eyes similar to my own, except perhaps they were a little colder.

"Oh... well it's actually really interesting because—"

"Shut it Cabello," another girl snapped.

"No, I but I really think you should—"

"Somebody shut her the fuck up."

I didn't really know what exactly had happened. I just remember falling to the ground. I must have been hit in the face by something, but by what, and by whom, I wasn't sure. I heard laughter and the tearing of my pages, and it didn't take long to put two and two together. The group of girls were tearing out all the pages of my books, colourful pages flying across the ground, falling in the damp dirt. All ruined.

I sat up, the laughter still echoing in my ears. My vision was slightly blurry, though chances were it was just from the tears filling my eyes. I wiped my nose with the back of my hand and it left a trail of dark red blood. My entire face felt like it was throbbing, and it honestly felt like my nose might have been broken. With my hand that wasn't bloody, I wiped my eyes and looked for the person who had hit me. Lauren looked at me with her beautiful green eyes, full of angry tears. But the blood spread across her knuckles gave me the answer.