Dive - Bones

A/N: Song by the lovely Ed Sheeran

***

Leonard McCoy had been in love with you from the moment he first saw you. But he was newly divorced and fragile. And something told him that you would be a forever kind of girl. He wasn't sure his heart was ready for forever just yet. He should have known Jim Kirk would befriend you as soon as possible.

Maybe I came on too strong
Maybe I waited too long
Maybe I played my cards wrong
Oh, just a little bit wrong
Baby I apologize for it

It wasn't long before the three of you went everywhere together. You ignored Jim's constant flirting and Leo stared at you from afar, your every movement entrancing him. As time went by, he fell more and more in love with you but it only became harder for him to admit.  What if he lost you completely? He wasn't sure he could survive that.

I could fall, or I could fly
Here in your aeroplane
And I could live, I could die
Hanging on the words you say
And I've been known to give my all
And jumping in harder than
Ten thousand rocks on the lake

And so it went until one fateful night. You were on shore leave from the Enterprise on a leisure class planet. Kirk always made certain the three of you were on the same rotation. As usual, you'd found your way to a local watering hole to get a drink. You had disappeared some time ago with Kirk to dance and Leo sat at the bar. "There you are, baby," he heard your voice and turned as you draped your arms around his neck. His hands found your hips by instinct. "Y/N?" he asked in surprise.

So don't call me baby
Unless you mean it
Don't tell me you need me
If you don't believe it
So let me know the truth
Before I dive right into you

You laughed and leaned against him. His heart raced as he tried to figure out what was going on. You were a bit tipsy but you'd never acted like this from just a few drinks before. You pressed a kiss against the corner of his mouth before standing on your toes to whisper in his ear. Some guy was following you around, you said. Wasn't taking no for an answer. But Leo would rescue you and pretend he was yours, right? Of course, because the truth was, he was yours. You just didn't know it.

You're a mystery
I have travelled the world, there's no other girl like you
No one, what's your history?
Do you have a tendency to lead some people on?
'Cause I heard you do, mm

Leo wrapped his arms around your waist and kept you pulled tightly against him. His chin rested on the top of your head and you sighed against him. You hadn't lied to Leo about the guy. Not really. There had been one earlier but Kirk had gotten rid of him easily. No, you just wanted an excuse to be close to him. Kirk told you Leo was in love with you. You just weren't certain if you should take the risk. It wouldn't be beyond Jim to think you and Leo belonged together and play matchmaker.

I could fall, or I could fly
Here in your aeroplane
And I could live, I could die
Hanging on the words you say
And I've been known to give my all
And lie awake, everyday don't know how much I can take

You yawned. "Could you take me to the hotel, Leo?" you asked, cringing at how needy you sounded. But he didn't seem to mind. He looked down at you and gave you that sweet smile of his. "Of course, darlin'." He stood and laced his fingers with yours to pull you through the club. When you finally made it outside, you kept hold of him wondering if he noticed. Or even cared.

So don't call me baby
Unless you mean it
And don't tell me you need me
If you don't believe it
So let me know the truth
Before I dive right into you

This night of pretending you were his only made everything so much worse. He hadn't thought it possible to fall any more in love with you than he already was but he was wrong. So, so wrong. He hadn't released your hand when you left the club but you didn't seem to notice. He led you to the hotel where you were both staying, his strides short, trying to prolong his time with you. You leaned your head against his arm as you walked and he smiled down at you. 

I could fall, or I could fly
Here in your aeroplane
And I could live, I could die
Hanging on the words you say
And I've been known to give my all
Sitting back, looking at every mess that I made

Your  room was down the hall from his. He waited until you unlocked your door and stepped inside before he turned to leave. "Stay." Your voice was so soft he wasn't sure he'd even heard correctly. He turned back with a frown. "What was that, sweetheart?" You cleared your throat. "Stay. With me. Please, Leo. I need you." 

So don't call me baby
Unless you mean it
Don't tell me you need me
If you don't believe it
Let me know the truth
Before I dive right into you

He cupped the side of your face in his hand. "Are you certain about this, Y/N?" You nodded eagerly. "If we do this you're mine, darlin'. Forever." You grabbed the front of his shirt and tugged him forward so you could slam your lips into his. "That's what I'm counting on, Doc." You pulled him into the room and shut the door behind him. You were both laughing as you tumbled onto the bed together.

Before I dive right into you