14

"Why can't we go hunting?" Foxpaw protested.

  After licking her paw, Frostcloud ran it over her whiskers. She took a moment to respond and hoped desperately her artificial aloof nature masked her nerves of confronting her apprentice's sour behaviour. "Because the nursery needs to be cleaned."

  "So? Rosepaw can clean it by herself. You still haven't taken me hunting! Not for real!"

  Frostcloud set her paw down. Her pelt became hot as Clancats around her prepared for their day. It was dawn, and soon patrols would be sent out. For now, they talked quietly, groomed, and ate. Did they hear Foxpaw scolding her mentor? It was almost certain. "Being a warrior is about more than fighting."

  Foxpaw lashed her tail, "That's mouse-dung! I don't need to learn how to clean something! I need to learn to fight and hunt to provide and defend the Clan!"

  "Watch your language!" Frostcloud snapped, her ears flattening slightly, "Today you will clean the nursery. Tomorrow you will collect bedding for Needlepelt and search his pelt for ticks. And if Feathertail or Dawnheart need help with anything, you will provide that help."

  "That's not fair!" Foxpaw hissed, "Badgerpaw has practiced hunting and fighting! He's already caught a mouse, and I've only caught sticks!"

  Not unaware of some of the eyes falling on the two, Frostcloud got to her paws. "When you learn to keep your fur flat I'll take you hunting." She said, cursing to herself when her voice wavered.

  Foxpaw opened her mouth like she had more to say, but instead stormed off. With hot ears, Frostcloud licked her chest.

×××

  "Are you ready?" Buckheart asked. He stopped his walk next to Frostcloud, who was washing her belly.

  "One moment." She yawned. Buckheart twitched his whiskers, then heavily set next to his friend while she finished grooming. It was just past sun-high and Rosepaw and Foxpaw had only just started cleaning the nursery.

  Cricketlegs and Riverpelt sat not far off from the bramble, chatting quietly and observing the progress the apprentices made.

  "Alright." Frostcloud said eventually, picking herself up to her paws. "I'll fetch Mosspool."

  The tom nodded, then made his way to the camps entrance. Frostcloud sauntered past Whitestar, who was sharing a mouse with Doeface. "How are things with Ferretpaw?" He asked.

  "Great!" Doeface replied. "She's very clever."

  "She seems to be learning quickly."

  "She is." Doeface beamed. Then, "Why don't I find Duskfur and Sunfur later and we all go hunting?"

  "That sounds nice." Whitestar purred lightly, "We can try catching crayfish, like we did when you and Duskfur were still 'paws."

  Frostcloud had moved out of earshot and couldn't catch the next part of the conversation, but she couldn't help but be happy to hear the light-hearted tone in Whitestar's voice. He was so reserved and stern, Frostcloud was almost relieved his kin was able to bring out his gentle, happy nature.

  Getting closer to her friend, Mosspool swung her head around. Slatethorn had been half-asleep, and her sudden movement startled him. Frostcloud's whiskers twitched in amusement. "Would you like to come hunting with Buckheart and I?" She asked.

  "Oh! Right." Mosspool said. "Er- Slatethorn and I were going for a walk along the steel gorse today."

  Frostcloud's heart lurched. It had been so long since the three had all gone hunting together- why did Mosspool need to go out with Slatethorn? They already spent so much time together, and every day a little less with her friends.