45

Anticipation pricked Frostcloud's paws as several PineCats trekked through the forest. Frostcloud tailed the back of the clowder as they made way towards The Oak. Her growing belly was beginning to make it hard to keep up with the rest of her Clan, Frostcloud was reluctantly noticing. How could she manage as her pregnancy moved further along? Above, the full moon lit the forest in a gentle glow. The ground beneath the cats was cold, as in only another moon, snow would begin to powder their woodland home.

After the PineCats reached the hill leading down to the great Oak, they took a moment to pause and peer down at the assembled cats below. Every Clan was here, and waiting for the final arrivals. Whitestar and Crowfur sat at the front of the group. Behind them was Shaleshimmer, Duskfur, Leafear, Foxfang, Ferretpaw, Brambleshade, Rosedust, and the medicine cats.

The cats waited for several heartbeats before Whitestar flicked his tail, and instantly, the PineCats began their way down the scarp and into the grassy clearing below. The other Clans watched them expectantly, as the moon shone gently off their coats, and their colorful eyes sparkled in the night curiously.

The PineCats melted into the company of the other Clans fluidly. Frostcloud scanned the cats for familiar faces and was quick to spot Softpelt and Redstripe at the edge of the clearing. She began to make way for them, but somehow, even in the crowded clearing, Frostcloud caught the scent of a familiar MarshCat.

A yowl sounded from The Oak, and Frostcloud flicked her ears as she knew the Gathering was beginning. But she didn't turn around, as she followed the scent trail towards Pebblepaw, who she spotted with two black-and-white toms. One had distinctive long teeth peeking from under his lips, and Frostcloud recognized him as Spiderfang. The other, with copper eyes, was Nightpelt, Pebblepaws mentor.

"Pebblepaw!" Frostcloud whispered as she approached the three cats. Behind her, Lavenderstar spoke from The Oak, discussing ValleyClans queens and elders.

Pebblepaw blinked gentle greeting at the warrior, "Hello, Frostcloud."

The apprentice, Frostcloud noticed, was about the size of the two warriors he sat next to. How much longer would he be training, she wondered?

Upon Frostcloud sitting next to the MarshCats, Nightpelt dipped his head in greeting, while Spiderfang rolled his yellow eyes. Frostcloud paid no mind. After the last several moons of nonstop battling and losing blood and fur to MarshCat claws, a little eyeroll wasn't enough to get under Frostcloud's skin.

"You're getting quite big, Pebblepaw." Frostcloud observed.

"So are you." The cream-tom teased, "Obviously PineClan has nothing to worry about this leaf-bare."

Nightpelt stiffled a purr, and Frostcloud twitched her ears. She hadn't expected the other Clans to notice. "I'm expecting kits." She said.

"What?" Pebblepaw gasped with wide pale-green eyes.

Frostcloud purred and cast a glance at the leaders. Lavenderstar had finished speaking, and Silverstar spoke now. "Despite leaf-bare growing near, our dense forest keeps the ground warm enough for a late bloom of toads and is keeping us well fed." She boasted.

"Blech." Came a nearby StoneCat apprentice. "Toads?"

Frostcloud glanced at the Marshcats, who were unphased by the comment. How could an apprentice's poor-taste comment bother them when their bellies were full? Frostcloud reasoned.

"Congratulations, Frostcloud." Nightpelt purred quietly.

The warrior had grown used to words of praise from her Clan, as after her morning sickness, she and Buckheart began to openly spread the exciting news. But to recieve the approval from the other Clans made her that much more excited to introduce kits to the world.

Behind Frostcloud, Shaleshimmer and a ValleyCat approached. Frostcloud observed the newcomer- a light brown she-cat with long black whiskers. "This is Nutfur." Shaleshimmer introduced.

"Oh, StarClan!" Spiderfang spat as he got to his paws, "If you chatty PineCats had so much to say maybe you should have come to the Gathering earlier?"

The tom stomped off with a lash in his tail.

"Didn't expect him to stay." Shaleshimmer said under her breath to Nutfur, who responded with an agreeing "Hmph!"

At The Oak, it was Whitestar who spoke now, announcing Foxfang received her warrior name. "Foxfang?" Pebblepaw pondered, "She was your apprentice?"

"Yes." Frostcloud boasted. Not far off, she spotted the tortoiseshell's head peeking above the enormous crowd.

To conclude the Gathering, it was Rainstar who spoke now, announcing the going-ons of StoneClan life and their forever ongoing abundance of rabbits.

A breeze ran through the clearing and sparked murmurs amongst the cats. Even Frostcloud couldn't ignore the shudder the wind caused. She pressed into Shaleshimmer to ward off what she could of the chill.

Anything but still air was unusual for a Gathering, but there was not a speck of cloud blocked a single star. Slowly, the moon crept further across the sky.

When Rainstar finished speaking, the leaders leapt from The Oak and Clancats began to disperse in the direction of their territories. "Goodbye, you three." Frostcloud said to the MarshCats and Nutfur, who all bid their own farewell. Together, she and Shaleshimmer made way for the assembling PineCats.

Elation kept Frostcloud's tail high as they neared the others. Peace had once again overcome the forest and Frostcloud was greatly pleased to see the other cats thrive, along with her very own Clan.

Together, the cats climbed the hill. By the time they reached the top, Frostcloud found herself feigning strength and resisting the urge to pant. Dawnheart gave Frostclouds cheek a gentle sniff, then nodded her head reassuringly. How could these tiny kits in her belly be so heavy when they had only just started to grow a moon ago?

Together, the PineCats returned to camp.