19-Plenty of Time

Josh isn't quite sure why he's doing this.

Parties give him panic attacks, and drunk people scare the shit out of him. They're unpredictable, kind of like his dad after a night out at the bar.

Maybe Tyler Joseph has something to do with it.

Maybe Josh has had a crush on Tyler since third grade, and maybe he's hoping something will happen at this party tonight.

He wishes he would've brought Brendon, at least. Then he wouldn't feel so awkward standing alone in the corner of a room.

There's not nearly as many people as Josh had expected, calming his anxiety only slightly. The loud music, the bass rattling in his chest, the smell of alcohol, the drunk teenagers... It all makes Josh's throat close up.

He just wants to find Tyler.

With shaking hands, he finds the strength in him to leave the safety of the corner. His knees feel like they're going to collapse under him as he walks into the kitchen, and spots a certain brunette talking with a girl.

He looks ravishing, takes the breath right out of Josh's lungs. Even though all he's wearing is a black hoodie and black jeans, Josh's heart is beating as hard as the bass.

Tyler has a red solo cup in one hand, the other grabbing onto the girl's arm as he laughs. Josh swallows, watching Tyler's adams apple bob, watching the dimples that appear on his cheeks and crinkles that form around his eyes.

Breathtaking.

Josh doesn't realize he's staring until the girl whispers in Tyler's ear and they both look over at him. He must look creepy. God, he's such an idiot.

With a little gasp and trembling hands, Josh turns to the counter beside him and grabs himself a cup. Bottles of liquor are scattered everywhere, Josh just wants juice or something.

"Hey," he hears a soft voice from behind him, making him jump so hard he spills one of the cups on the counter.

"Fuck," he whispers, trying to steady his breathing before turning around to find himself face-to-face with Tyler Joseph. "Um, hi."

"You looked like you wanted to talk to me. Or was it Maddy you wanted?"

"Maddy?"

"My sister," Tyler says, pointing to the girl he was laughing with. She's already moved on, now having a conversation with a redhead.

"Oh," Josh gulps, subconsciously wiping his sweaty palms on his hips. "Um, no, I, Uh... Wanted to talk to you."

"We have English together, right?" Tyler asks, filling his cup up with tap water. Josh is relieved, but maybe this would be easier if Tyler were drunk...

"Yeah, and band," Josh says. Tyler writes the most beautiful poems for English, and he can play the piano perfectly in band. Josh always loves listening to him.

"Oh, right, you're the guy on the drums," Tyler smiles, knocking the wind out of Josh. Holy fuck, he's so beautiful. And holy fuck, Josh is talking to him right now.

"That's me," he says awkwardly, trying to match Tyler as he leans against the counter.

"You seem uncomfortable."

"I don't really like parties," Josh chuckles, pathetically.

"Why're you here, then?"

Josh doesn't fucking know. He's an idiot. Tyler hardly even knows who he is, and Josh can't hold a conversation. He should just go home.