Chapter 9. New Years!

Tesla: do you remember what I told you?

Heath: uhm... yeah... I guess...

Tesla: you'll be fine, Lieutenant Cole and Commander Kyle will be on their way here since we've already secured Eric. All the afflicted should turn back to normal.

Heath: how long will you be in there for?

Tesla: as long as it takes... I did this to him... I'm gonna see it through. It's the least I can do.

Heath: I'm sorry... it wasn't your fault... I know you were only trying to help him...

Tesla: you don't need to apologise to me, go apologise to Crell over there.

Tesla motions to Crell who was seated far away from ear shot, sitting quietly reading her journal.

Tesla: Crell's been there for you when you really needed her, none of us ordered her to do so, she did it because she's compassionate, you shouldn't take her for granted...

Heath: I know... I will make it up to her...

Heath walks away from Tesla who was preparing for cold sleep to enter the simulation, but just before Heath was out of earshot, Tesla gave one last piece of advice...

Tesla: Heath... Don't lose those whom you hold dear again... Make a change if you have to... Because there's nothing, not even the most painful of physical pain, that can match the loneliness that a person like YOU, or your brother must live.

Heath: why so? Aren't Cryokinetics like us supposed to be numb to our emotions?

Tesla: *chuckles*, no one really follows that rule anyways... And I believe that it's best that way, the manner of which we are still able to show a little compassion, a little emotion, a little pain every now and then. Even through the numbness of our cryokinesis, we must not lose sight of our original humanity.

Heath nods in agreement before waving goodbye and walking away.

There was a constant humming from the cryo pod as Tesla activated it and sealed herself inside. The cryo pod then emitted a white mist, with a temperature just above freezing, the special mist immediately put her to sleep as her heartbeat slowed down.

Heath took his seat next to Crell, who continued to read and write on her journal, seemingly oblivious to his presence. Heath looked through the books and magazines on the rack next to the comfy chair but found nothing of interest.

"*sighs*, nothing interesting, just a bunch of boring old mags". Heath said

"..." Crell was silent, she ignored Heath and continued to flip through her journal whilst turning away from him.

"Say uhh... what are you... What are you reading?" Heath asked.

"..." Silence from Crell, yet again.

"Look I'm sorry okay? I really am... I'm trying my best to change.... You have been the most compassionate person, I've ever met, and you didn't have to be... I was, a jerk then... It's just that I've sought out my brother for so long, lost hope of him being alive... I... I overreacted and you didn't deserve that... You have always treated me right... I really am... Sorry."

Crell stops, looks up and then smiles at Heath, she gently grabs his hand and holds it reassuringly.

"It's okay... I understand... Just promise me one thing... Promise me that you won't run off again after all this is done.." Crell said.