Chapter 11. A choice

"Who is he?" Cupa pondered whilst she stared up at the ceiling of the semi spherical tent.

"I've only just met him recently and yet... Somehow... I feel as if I've known him all my life."

Cupa turned to her side to see Eric deep asleep facing her. Even with the wide gap between them, Cupa could feel the coldness of Eric's every exhale. She stared at his face for a moment, trying to recall where she had seen him before, but to no avail. Alas, she was too fatigued to give it any more thought. Thinking perhaps it would be best to ponder on the subject another day, she closes her eyes and slowly drifts off into sleep.

Outside the simulation...

Tesla: Is everything ready?

Crell: Yeah...

Tesla: What's the matter?

Crell: What we're about to do... Is there really no other way to avoid it? I mean, we aren't even sure how well he can control his powers, let alone, using him in the field!

Tesla: I know... But it's out of my control now... Jeane's given the order...

Heath: You wouldn't have been able to keep him trapped in there anyway... Sooner or later, either he would have figured out the false life he had been leading, or I would have broken him out myself.

Heath entered and walked across the room until he reached a large cylindrical pod. Within it, connected to various wires and breathing apparatus, was Eric... He is slightly older looking than his virtual body.

No one in that room crossed eyes, not once. But the three of them understood the heaviness of the situation they were in. Fatigue creeped over everyone like a shadow stretching in small, unnoticeable increments. Emotions were a chaotic fritz, great guilt turned to wavering courage, and then to crippling fear as they plagued everyone's minds with constant contradiction.

Tesla: ... No... We'll disconnect the others first before Eric..

Crell: Right.

Heath: Why not Eric first?

Tesla: Because if I released him first, it would be too much for him to take in... Being trapped in a simulation for years and all.

Heath: I see... You're doing it so he doesn't go on a rampage...

Tesla: Well, that's the idea, at least. Crell, when the time comes and he is the last one, perform the memory restoration. But do it when I'm with him, do you understand?

Crell: Yeah...

Tesla: For now, release all of our agents. Starting with agents Archer, Decay, Azero, Kold. Then, follow up by shutting down the "Best Friend AI" as well as all the outer layer AI as well. He shouldn't notice they are gone whilst he is in the Minecraft layer. Be careful, though. We don't want to destabilize the simulation, so take it slowly, ensure the agents don't panic when you pull them out.

Crell: Got it... Beginning reawakening sequence now...

With the press of the button, Crell began to release all of the remaining agents from their deep slumber.

Meanwhile, Tesla would prepare to put herself back in the simulation to play the integral part of waking Eric up.

2 hours later...

Eric: Are you sure you wanna do this again?

Cupa: I wanna see which of us is stronger. So don't you dare hold back

Eric: Even if I wanted to go all out, I can't... I'll probably die. It hasn't even been a month, and since our last fight, I've pushed myself to fa-

Before Eric could finish his sentence, a bright orange ball of fire was flung straight at him, narrowly missing him as he dodged at the last second. Eric smiled.