shot twenty four: silver; part two

"You like silver piercings?"

"Well, actually they're for my boyfriend, but yeah, I do enjoy them," I replied. The salesgirl was so sweet. Maybe I would give her my number so we could hang out.

"My girlfriend has the most beautiful dark skin, and she wears gold piercings all the time. She looks gorgeous in them," she adds in to our obvious queerness.

"Oh my god! She must look incredible. Dark skin tones do look good with gold."

She smiled and nodded. "Anything else?"

I shook my head "Thank you so so much for helping me!"

"Sure, anytime."

I thanked her again when she rung me up at the cash register. She was such a nice girl. Sometimes I wish I was bi, then I would like girls. And girls are more emotionally present than boys are. I've been with some pretty emotionally absent people. I guess I should try to work on being emotionally invested myself.

I gave her my number if she ever needed a friend, and she called me right there so I could have hers. She waved as I walked out.

I drove all the way home, giggling with anticipation. I already looked pretty badass, and I was ecstatic: I could get vengeance on Heath for all the times that he had to cancel on me, and I had a new friend who thought that my boyfriend loved silver.

When I got home, I parked my car in the basement parking lot of the apartment complex and headed upstairs with forty dollars worth of vengeance. And I giggled as I put in the silver lip ring, silver tongue stud, tiny silver hoop in my ear piercing, and put on three different rings that were all silver. The silver was coloured black for the rings and the earring, but it was classic silver for the lip and tongue piercings. I giggled with anticipation for the next day, and hardly got to sleep.

...

"Hey, Caleb. You're looking extra emo today—ahh, what is that?"

"What?" I asked innocently, walking inside. It was sunny today, too, so I lowkey felt a little bad, you know, hitting one bird with two stones. Wait, no, that's not right. But before I had time to process it, he talked again.

"I don't know... that extra magnetic kind of feeling..." he trailed off. I shrugged in response.

"I don't know these vampire feelings you know."

"I... I know. Do you want something to drink?"

"Sure. I'd love something to drink. Oh, wait, I forgot something in my car, I'll be right back, actually." I'd actually gotten him something that he liked, just to make up for the ambush that I was carrying out at the moment. The only thing that vampires and humans could both consume (as far as I knew) was alcohol, and I bought him a six pack of his favourite apple cider. I really hoped that he didn't take the prank that I was playing with my jewellery too seriously.

I really did love him, but the past three months had just proved that he might not love me back. I took off my rings for good measure. I think they were the ones that were the heaviest. I left the rings in my car and walked back up his garden to his house. I took a deep breath and opened his door, walking inside again, this time with six bottles of apple cider in my hand, all in one of the cardboard boxes that they were sold in.

"Thank you! You're the absolute best, darling." His eyes lit up as he took the box from me, then cringed. "I feel the magnetism thing again. I think you might be wearing silver."