shot fourteen: first kiss (reddie flash fiction)

As Richie's lips made contact with mine, I closed my eyes. His lips were warm and soft, a mixture of lavender and mint. I wondered if I tasted just as good. I sighed as we parted and looked down at my feet.

Lorde played in my ear, her beautiful voice finding the melody, melancholic and bittersweet.

"You're a good kisser," he said, and touched my cheek.

"It's my first time," I replied.

"That was your first kiss? You really are a nerd aren't you?" He laughed and kissed my forehead. We were in his house—his parents were out, and I was sitting on the counter, and he was leaning on it between my legs. There was a party going on around us and there was blue light all around.

"Yeah," I admitted. "I am really a gay nerd. I don't like to be called that very much, but it's true."

"I think it's cute, Eds. I think it's really cute," he kissed me again, and I smiled. Our lips moved together and we were kissing a little more desperately every second.

My hands were around his neck, and his were in my hair, and when we calmed down and broke apart, he grinned and I hopped off of the counter. My heart was beating as loud as the party as he asked me what I wanted to drink. I knew it was legal at this point because we were both eighteen, but I hadn't ever had a drink so I didn't know what it was going to be like. I knew Richie knew that. Of course he'd had alcohol before.

He came back with drinks and pushed his glasses back up his nose, smiling at me. "Drink up, darling."

I drank the bubbly liquid, and flinched. It was okay. I looked at him and he laughed. I joined in and we both hopped onto the counter.

He held my hand in one and his drink in the other, and smiled, swaying the to the music. This was the only party I'd been to that had good music. It made me lean my head on Richie's shoulder and kiss his cheek. It made me feel as though the boy I'd been with for two months had kissed me from the beginning, but it also made him put his drink down and make out with me.

And the music made me respond.