26. the flashback: caught

Jennie's POV

Now inside one of the tight-spaced stalls in the girl's locker room was me, breathing like hell after having to go through another tiring day of sweaty gym class. Unlike the other girls, I waited a while before going inside to change alone.

After switching out my t-shirts, I brought the last fresh item out of my gym bag: a pair of aqua blue jeans with rips starting amid my thighs and ending as low as my calves. Only a few rips though; too much would get me suspended in violation of the dress code. Then, my hands traveled to the height of the band suffocating my hair in its high ponytail, before I let it down.

"I was planning for ages to ask Jungkook out for the dance, but he has a girlfriend." Suddenly voiced Yeri as footsteps from her and some others made their mark inside the locker room.

"Bummer, you and him would've been the closest thing to a perfect match in my eyes. Too bad blondes ruin everything." Dahyun said.

"Ironic that the same girl who swore to me that she's never been kissed was publicly macking on the golden maknae at that football game months ago. But I'm not surprised she lied. You know what they say about Bangkok, the home of the classless swindlers." Irene remarked, feathering her nails lightly.

The mediocre sound of bags coming in on contact with a wooden bench filled up the scene. Then there was a pause.

They couldn't see me because of where I was, but I could now see the backs of them through a small opening; Nayeon, Sana, Irene, Dahyun, and Yeri were there. I was so tuned in on their conversation, more than I wanted to be, without even realizing it.

"I can picture Tzuyu rolling in her grave right now. We can all tell she has a crush on JK too."

"I thought she was dating JB."

The room was inaudible after Sana mentioned the guy. Still moments those 5 seconds were.

"Geez Sana don't bring him up." Yeri said.

"Oh crap I forgot about what happened already I'm so sorry!"

"Guys, is it just me or do you feel like we aren't reacting to these deaths like real people would? It's obvious that people are dying around us yet..I just don't feel anything anymore." Nayeon admitted, contrast to my own feelings.

Irene scoffed and threw her bag over her shoulder, "You're talking. How about you? You were abducted for several days and had us worried sick, yet you're acting like it never happened."

The accused girl bit her top lip and shrugged softly in response.

Dahyun nodded, "You are both right. I really think everyone around us is suffering from some type of emotional numbness disorder. Similar to anhedonia."

Irene lazily rested her eyes and crossed her arms before throwing Dahyun an almost mocking look. "What?"

"It's when you can't feel pleasure or be pleased by anything at all after a-"

"I think her 'what' meant that she wants you to stop talking." Sana informed her in a light tone.

Dahyun looked to Irene for clarity and got her answer when the girl smiled.

"Oh."

"Anyways I want to go with someone too, but I kinda have my doubts. I think he might like someone else." Nayeon said.

"Who?"

"Min Yoongi."

"Let me guess. You think he likes Jennie?"