37. the rose

A/N: * this bolded symbol is going to indicate the beginning of a mini flashback in the middle of this chapter

***

Third Person POV

Jisoo, through her peripheral vision, noticed Jessica jump and quickly hide something behind her back.

"What did I tell you about going in here?"

"I don't want to hear it right now Jessica." Jisoo softly said, moving her hand up and down her sister's bed. The bed still felt warm to touch. As warm as the coldest day in the spring--if Jisoo were exaggerating the feel--like Ruth was still here.

Feeling more insane than insane, Jisoo smiled at the homely sheets but dropped that smile as soon as she heard her least favorite voice in the world speak to her again, forcing her to turn her head for a short minute.

Jessica was dolled up, with a pleasant face of red-based makeup to go with her seductive red dress hiding under her elongated coat. She looked good like always, however, Jisoo wasn't one to ever tell her that.

"No Jisoo. You are going to hear it! We've already established that only I was allowed in this room."

"Why does it even matter? Go back to the strip club!"

"Nice try." Jessica shortly laughed, crossing her arms. "It's a night club actually, and I own half of the business it's where I work."

"You're always working."

"Cause I have two jobs-Uh-Jisoo...?"

Jessica watched Jisoo continue to pay her no mind in her own made-up world.

For the third time, Jisoo accepted that she was sad and tired of feeling alone. She's been at this house and hasn't left since the day of the Valentine's Dance at the school that she promised herself she would never return to. However, alone and Jisoo Kim were never best friends, and she didn't want them to be now. She needed someone, but not a guardian. Not Jessica.

Definitely not Jessica.

"Why is it so hard for you to listen to anything I say!"

Jisoo shut her eyes and mentally counted to three. She deeply hated everything about the woman in front of her which she prayed every night would go the fuck away when she got to #3.

Unfortunately for her, reality found that wish too unrealistic to grant.

"I don't think you understand. My job is to only look after you and this house, that's it. I don't have to be nice, I don't have to cook, I don't have to do shit else. But I still do because I care."

"You care? You?" Jisoo repeated back. "So all those nights you had getting drunk, shoving stupid juuls down your cancerous throat, and sleeping with teenage guys and girls while Ruth was inside the house hating every aspect of her life was you showing that you care!?"

Jessica rolled her eyes, expecting to hear those overused lines once again.

"What's this obsession with me now that you didn't have with my sister then? Just stop trying to redeem yourself Jessica. Because of you she's dead!"

"Because of you too!" Jessica finally snapped. She was tired of Jisoo always blaming her for Ruth's death whenever they had an encounter. Hell, she was aggravated by the fact that Jisoo still talks about Ruth 24/7 instead of just 'moving on'. It only confirmed what only Jessica knew all along.

That Jisoo felt guilty.

"When will you ever fucking shut up?" The teen mumbled.

Calming herself down, Jessica sighed. She didn't want to argue with Jisoo mostly due to the fact that she didn't have time to, and needed to be getting ready for her date soon. "Okay...Okay... I'm tired of being nice to you and treating you like someone that's on my level."