Break From It All

We're getting close to the end of this trilogy. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your support.

We made it to the bed in breakfast with enough time to call up for a late dinner. We got hamburgers, chicken pot pie, three deserts and the most amazing fries in the world. I was in food heaven as I devoured my share. Carter didn't mention marriage again but it doesn't mean I don't expect him to propose again. I know Carter loves me and I love him. He's changed since the first time we fell in love. I just know that when I get married I want it to be a one-time thing. I love Lily, but I can't imagine myself saying such profound vows on spending the rest of your life together to death do us part only to divorce in a year. I want my marriage to be with the one I love with all my heart and no matter the tribulations and hard work we may face we will always come out on the other side. Carter could be the one but I need to make certain that I could be the one for him. He loves me now, but will he love me down the road when life gets tough?

"Do you know when your next appointment is?" Carter passes back the plate with the chocolate tart on it. I take a bit of it savoring it.

"I don't know off the top of my head, but when we get back to the city I can find out." Carter reaches for my hand stopping me from stuffing my face.

"I want you to know that uh...even if you don't see us marrying down the road. I will do everything in my power and more to be there for you and our child. I will love our baby."

"I'm not worried about you loving our child."

"Then what are you worried about?"

"That you'll one day fall out of love with me." We both set the food aside and lean against the headboard.

"How could I ever fall out of love with you?"

"It wouldn't be hard. I'm controlling with so many walls you'll need a jackhammer to break through it. I keep to myself more than I should and I'm such a bitch." Carter laughs before turning to look at me.

"What if I told you that I love you because of all of those reasons."

"You love a cold-hearted bitch? I mean that could just show your poor choice in women." He grabs my hand holding then moving it to rest on his heart.

"I love that you closed off because every time I am able to get through your walls I fall more in love with the smart, caring and an unbelievable person you are. You make every day with you a challenge and a reward. I love when you're bitchy. If I wanted a polite debutante who never said what was on her mind I would have done it, but my life wouldn't be complete without you in it."

"How long have you thought about proposing to me?" I move closer so I can rest my head on his chest as he plays with my hair.

"If I'm going, to be honest I've thought about proposing to you four years ago."

"When we first dated?"

"I've never felt so strongly about another person until I met you. You made my whole world stop and change for the better. I was scared that I was moving too fast and let myself cheat on you believing I was doing the best thing for me. I was scared of loving you and what it would do to me."

"And cheating was your way of solving it?"

"No, it was a cowardly way of avoiding my responsibilities. I should have never done that to you or made you feel the way you felt."

"You don't have to apologize for what you've done. I forgave you."

"But I need to say this." We're sitting up facing each other. "Loving you has been the best thing that has or will ever happen to me. I know in my heart that you were meant to come into my life. I love you for all your faults, which aren't many and I only hope you love me back."