,FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN

i and lucas were helping the butlers to water the plants, when a loud bang was heard at the gates of the palace, followed by an endless amount of screams and groans.

we looked at each other with questioning looks, mine was also a bit scared to be honest.

the mess kept going on, until one of the maids decided to go and see what was going on.

«bring the kings out !»

«they can't hide from us forever !»

those were the kind of words we were able to hear from the garden: the citizens found us and they weren't clearly messing around.

i checked out on lucas — he just stood there frozen, stunned. i quickly grabbed his arm and dragged him inside, only to meet the rest of the group, as scared as we were.

«i thought they wouldn't find us !»

he exclaimed, worry taking over his shaky voice, as he recalled the day sicheng assured them that his parents' palace was a secure place.

the latter answered nothing as his defense, instead he acknowledged the fact and kept his gaze low.

«calm down, lucas. it's our fault actually..»

taeyong said putting his hand on the younger's chest.

«yeah, taeyong's right. we went against the agreement, because it said that the kings couldn't freely move from the association's sight, from our palace..»

doyoung calmly explained, while leaning against the wall, sighing.

lucas seemed to have understood the situation, his angry look slowly softened as he sat down, his hands ruffling his hair in frustration.

«does that mean that you're leaving with those strangers chasing you ?»

a sad renjun asked, he was there clinging to sicheng's and staring at us with sad eyes.

we all nodded, realizing that we were really going back home with those crazy people looking after us.

the queen then came down the steps running. she must have knew about the whole thing, since behind her were all our things — perfectly packed.

seriously ?

«oh my.. guys, you have to leave immediately or else the worst might happen !»

she hurriedly said, cupping her first born's face.

and so we seemed to do.
we went out with a slow pace, our heads hung low in shame as we got on our carriage while the other one was being filled with our belongings.

after closing the door, the vehicle exited the palace's garden, meeting the angry citizens.

i unconsciously took lucas' hand as i felt the screams and shouts, the harsh word being thrown out at us.
the anger, the pain, the frustration in those loud voices, hitting me hard, without them even realizing it.

my sorroundings were shaking, we were surely being escorted by the crowd — who kept slamming against the light walls of this walking box.
making its race unstable and uncomfortable, especially for us.

i closed my eyes shut, trying to think about something good, something positive.
something that would distract my mind from such an horrible situation, but i couldn't.

i then felt the grip on my hand tighten, lucas sat next to me, flashing a reassuring smile, although he knew that nothing was reassuring in that moment.

[...]

«stay were you belong and don't try to fool us, assholes !»

a young voice shouted, followed by many laughs.

i looked out of the window, as our carriage made its entrance in our garden, and realized that the voice was chenle's.
i felt a bit sad about that, but at the same time i was happy because lucas didn't hear him.

we came down the vehicle and made our way to the palace, in silence, our heads still low.

we went in only to meet the faces of the houseworkers full of disappointment and guilt.

«sirs, we're so sorry about what-»

«don't worry, it's not that hiding would solve our problems..»

mark said, a bitter laugh escaping his lips.

we followed his moves as he removed his jacket, placing it on the table.
waved his hand and climbed the steps, probably heading to his bedroom.

the others did the same, without saying a word, me as well. trailing behind them while walking towards the second floor.

i sat down, laying on my bed while staring at the ceiling.
heavily breathing in the cold air that kept hitting my skin, entering through the open windows.

closing my eyes, i started thinking: a thing i often do in those days, honestly.

how on earth was i living in a drawing with a whole nation, still, i didn't know.
in which era all this was represented and why was it so problematic, i had no idea.
why would a king search his lover in a futuristic reality.. i won't even ask.

this adventure seemed so ambiguous, unnatural and it started scaring me.
a lot.

i could even die along the nobles, without my family or friends even realizing.

absurd how my life changed with a simple and innocent journey, but thinking more about it i regret nothing.

unedited.