,FIFTEEN

FIFTEEN

maybe even the sky knew about our sadness, as heavenly tears hardly fell down, meeting the cold ground and instantly wetting it.

i usually liked when it rained, but this wasn't just the right moment.
the mood in this palace was already low and this sudden change of atmosphere didn't help at all.

the building was lifeless, too lifeless.
while walking to the hall, i surprisingly met no one.
everyone seemed to have disappeared or just hided, somewhere, alone.

i reached the center of the immense allowance, the sound of my heels hitting the floor being the only source of noise in the room.
i lift my eyes up, towards the windows, and saw lucas' figure, sitting on one of the two green sofas placed in front of them.

i walked towards him, placing a hand on his head, gently stroking his hair as i sat down next to him.

he was just there, entirely covered in a light blanket.
his eyes were red and his expression clearly showed that he wasn't having a great time.

«i'm sorry, but i think i will not be able to keep our promise...»

the blonde male said referring to the fact that i wouldn't regret being brought here.

i chuckled. i found his consideration cute: instead of worrying about his life, he was thinking about a stupid promise made more than a week ago.

«it's okay.
promises are made to be broken, after all.»

i replied bitterly.

he remained silent.

i then decided to scout closer to him, wrapping my arm around him and placing my head against his as we stared at the sight displayed outside.
the calming sound of the water drops speaking for us, since no one seemed to have nothing else to say.

we stayed in the same position till the rain stopped, without even knowing that lucas already drifted off to sleep.

i continued stroking his beautiful blonde hair, smiling in the process.
and after softly kissing his forehead, i whispered

«although i don't know what's going on,
i promise you that i'll be by your side till the rest of my days.»

[...]

after taking a burning candle, i took the stairs that led to the last floor of the palace, slowly heading to the collection room.

as my steps echoed in the large hallway, i could feel the cold breeze shaking the trees' leaves outside. giving me a weird feeling, along with the dark sky, the moon's light guiding my path.

i went through the short distance, took my golden key and opened the big black door, turning on the lamps on right away.

the mirrors turned into paintings as i started searching for my room's one.

while walking to the end of the room, my gaze fell on kun's thin figure: he just sat there eating some cookies.

i ran to the frame and put my hands on it, calling his name out loud, making him jump on his seat and looking around himself with a scared look on his lovely face.

i waved my hand, trespassing both dimensions, trying to catch his attention.
he finally turned towards me and chocked on his food.

«i- i- irene, is that you?»

my brother asked with trembling hands.

he placed the plate on the nearest table and got up from his seat, reaching the painting with a slow and cautious steps.

i laughed at him and nodded quickly, while moving my arm once again, but this time as a sign for him to come closely, without fear.

when our hands met, i interlaced my fingers with him, a proof of my identity the reality of the different dimension.

he sighed, sitting on the ground - desperation appearing on his face.

«what are you doing in there?
did they kidnap-»

«please i need a urgent favour and don't worry, i'm fine.»

i said, interrupting him as i joined my hands together, looking at him with pleading eyes.

he mouthed a low 'sure', while standing up, still a bit confused.

«can you please take that history book, placed on that small shelf?»

i asked pointing the right part of the room.
he nodded, turning towards were my finger was aiming.
he grabbed the big book and sat on his chair.

«what do you want to know?
maybe i can help you, without consulting this thing.»

kun suggested and i decided to give it a try.

«lion, france. 1788-1789.
do you know what the hell was going on in those years and why was it so problematic?»

he remained silent as he looked back at me with wide eyes.

it must have been a bad sign,
a very bad one.

«well?»

«irene, if you're living in that era
you better get your ass back here and i'm not kidding.»

the male firmly said, closing the book with a loud sound.

i squeezed my eyes as if that would help me understand what he was trying to say, but i guess he caught my confused expression.
he sighed again, facepalming himself and shaking his head.

«why? what's wrong? can't you tell me-»

«france, 1788-1789 the years of the great french revolution where, if you actually listened to mr. moon's lessons, you would know that the nobles lost to the citizens - by being killed

the nobles lost to the citizens by being killed.

that same sentence kept repeating in my mind, the image of the kings being killed suddenly displayed in front of me.

i shook that terrible scene and stumbled, walking backwards only to meet another body.

meanwhile the lights were turned off, breaking the connection between me and my brother, the painting becoming a dark mirror.

i turned around and saw ten

«great. hope you're happy now that you finally discovered what is going on, irene

yes. i finally discovered what was going on, but i swear that i was far away from being happy.

unedited.

y'all will hate me
for the next chapter tbh.