Part 4

Having been given the okay to play by his sister, Ryoma couldn't help but oblige. With one final look to check if she's all right, he heads for the court with Momo after retrieving a racket from his bag. He leaves the drinks with her for later.

She herself lowers herself back into her previous spot, trying to ignore the tugging sensation on her knee when she tries to bend it a bit. She comes down a bit hard, making Fuji glance at her for a moment.

"Are you alright, Echizen-san?" he wonders.

She looks at him for a moment, thinking it over, before motioning him to look. She lifted her skirt just slightly, showing the edge of the brace fastened around her knee. "I see." he murmurs, his smile now gone.

She'd rather not draw too much attention to it, but sometimes, her movements are just too clumsy. It makes her a bit self-conscious. But putting this explanation out there is not to gain anyone's pity either.

"See what Fujiko?" Eiji questions flopping down on Ryumi's other side.

"Hm?" Fuji brings out, snapping out of his thoughts. "Oh, nothing Eiji." he waves off the matter quickly, understanding that it is not up to him to reveal anything. It is very much appreciated by Ryumi.

"Oh okay." Eiji shrugs before smiling brightly. "Ne, Ryumi-chan. You haven't seen o-chibi play since he came here you said? Well he really surprised us you know, when he came to join the club. And he's gotten a lot better since! Your little brother is really something!" he compliments lightheartedly.

She can't help but smile a little, caught up in Eiji's cheerful demeanor. "Is that so?" she breathes, turning her eyes towards the court where Momo and her brother are warming up.

Soon they are ready and the tricks they pull out are those not often seen by kids their age. Ryoma's style hasn't changed that much yet, but she can see the improvement he's made. He's stronger, quicker... and enjoying tennis more than before. It seems this team he's in, the Seigaku regulars bring out the best in him.

Ryumi is glad to see her little brother doing so well and making friends. She was a bit worried after they moved away.

Now, it's Ryoma who has been worried about her. She wishes he wouldn't, but she understands. She hasn't been quite the same since the accident after all. And hanging around tennis courts, watching other people play... It just feels like she's torturing herself. But she would hate it even more, if she were holding Ryoma back. She just can't do that.

She glances down at Ryoma's bag where his other rackets are sticking out. As the sounds of the tennis ball being struck over and over again echoes in her ears, her hand starts to itch. She wants to feel the sensation of the grip tape in her fingers, the light weight of a racket weighing down her arm. A swing...

She clenches her left fist, willing herself to snap out of it and opts to stare past her little brother into nothingness. There is no chance for her to play. Not now, maybe not ever again. It hurts so.

"Hoi hoi! He does it again!" Eiji cheers once the match is over. Ryoma came out on top. "What do you think Ryumi-chan?" he asks, trying to read her thoughts.

She smirks slightly. "Mada mada dane." she mutters.

Oishi and Fuji can't help but chuckle. "You two really are family." Oishi states.

After downing his can of ponta and wiping the sweat from his face, Ryoma turns to his sister. "Let's go home now, Ryumi-nee." he urges, feeling like she's been out long enough. He doesn't want her to tire herself out. She's still recovering after all.