Part 44

Ryumi stares at Ryoma for a moment, watching him pack. Yesterday Ryuzaki and Oishi revealed their plan of going on a training camp to prepare against Rikkaidai's onslaught.

Observing her little brother, she thinks he looks awfully serious. But that's to be expected. He and Rikkaidai's Sanada had a match the day before and Ryoma found himself outclassed. It really hurt his ego.

"Are you almost ready?" Ryumi finally asks, making him glance over before zipping up his bag. He nods silently, picking up his back and brushing past her to go downstairs. Ryumi sighs before following, dragging her own bag with her.

..........

Before they know it, they are in Ryuzaki-sensei's rented bus headed towards Karuizawa, a nice place in the mountains. Excitement is in the air.

"I think we went skiing there once." Fuji mutters in thought.

Kaidoh is staring intently at the brochure, humming appreciatively every now and then before looking up, "What are you doing Kikumaru-senpai?" he questions.

Eiji looks like a deer caught in headlights, hiding the contents with his bag with his arms, but anyone can see all the snacks bulging out of it. "Well, I uh, I'm just deciding what to eat first."

"It's not a field trip. Geez." Kaidoh scolds the upperclassman pointedly before returning to his reading.

Ryumi chuckles at this before kicking the back of Eiji's chair. "Sharing is caring Eiji~." she sings, before laughing when a couple of colorful pixie sticks are tossed her way. "Woohoo! Hello~ sugar rush."

"Be careful Ryumi-chan. You'll get a stomach ache if you eat all that." Oishi warns from his seat next to Ryuzaki-sensei.

"What?" she asks, pouring the contents of the first stick into her mouth.

"Er.... never mind." Oishi sighs dejectedly.

"Put that stuff away. We're almost there." Ryuzaki scolds, making Ryumi scowl before Eiji and Ryoma who's sitting next to him try to reorganize his chaotic bag so it can close again.

When they finally come to a half after a three and a half hour ride, they are... well... disappointed? This is not quite what the brochures led them to believe. The lodge is pretty run down.

"This can't be called a lodge, it just can't..." Momo muses.

Ryuzaki-sensei crosses her arms in annoyance. "Stop being spoiled." she scolds, not happy with the reactions after the trouble she went through to fix this up.

"That's right! We didn't come to play!" Oishi reminds them.

Fuji however cuts in, "This seems more like a place where ghost wander around." The comment makes Kaidoh stiffen, chills already running down his back.

"No way!" Momo laughs. "But in case that they do..." he starts, turning to the door, "Mr. Ghost! Hello!" he calls, before jumping back when the door squeaks open, seemingly by itself. But it's only Tomoko.

Sakuno joins her at the door, greeting everyone and Oishi explains that they are to be the temporary managers. They were send ahead to make the place ready for their stay. The Ichinen-trio is also somewhere, fixing up the tennis court.

Sakuno shows the guys to their shared room before showing Ryumi where the girls are bunking. They change into their gear as per Ryuzaki's request as she wants them training immediately.

Ryumi feels a bit out of place standing next to the boys, ready to be drilled. And is surprised when they are asked to leave their racquets in a box to be put away. They comply reluctantly before Ryuzaki sends them out running.

After two hours of non-stop exercise, they are happy to take a break by the nearby lake.

"I'm not used to this anymore." Ryumi groans, feeling her muscles complain already. She has been lagging behind. Looks like swimming isn't enough to pump herself up to her old standard.

"All the more reason to work hard. Up you go! Time to get moving!" Ryuzaki calls from her bicycle.

Biting back a moan, they all comply and run all the way back towards the lodge.

............

After a long day of training and the light fading behind the mountains, Ryuzaki finally lets them off to clean up and get ready for the delicious dinner made by Katsuo. And after that, the boys sit through a lecture by Inui. Ryumi however...

"You can go to bed already you know?" Ryuzaki-sensei's voice speaks up through the nightly sounds outside the lodge.

Ryumi tears her gaze away from the forest. "Ah, sensei. My mind is still racing. I thought I'd get some fresh air first." she excuses.

"Mh? I that so?" Ryuzaki muses. "You did well today. I would say that there isn't any pain anymore, is there?" she guesses.

Ryumi smiles faintly. "I guess I haven't been bothered for a while now. It's just difficult to let go of the fear I guess. Is that silly?" she wonders quietly.

Ryuzaki shakes her head with a smile. "Not at all. Your knee may remain a weak spot, so you need to stay vigilant. However, don't let it consume you. Once you really get to know your limit, it's okay to let go of your fears. That's why you're here." she reveals.

"So that's my training huh? Getting to know my limit?" Ryumi muses before nodding to herself. "Alright. I'll look hard for it."

"That's the spirit!" Ryuzaki laughs. "Now get inside before the mosquito's eat you alive." she urges, swatting her hand at one that dared to go near her.