Part 32

Tezuka Kunimitsu and Atobe Keigo... The stoic captain of Seigaku versus the flamboyant one from Hyotei. Both are players with strengths of their own, magnificent strengths at that. They're in a league of their own.

While Tezuka tries to control the game by using his Tezuka Zone, Atobe uses his Insight to pinpoint any weaknesses, that still being Tezuka's arm as it seems. Oishi thought the injury from long ago was out of the way, but...

For a long duration of the match, nothing seems amiss, despite Atobe pointing out that Tezuka's has a weakness he will take advantage of. Tezuka is still playing remarkably.

As the match is drawn out ever longer because of Atobe, the real problem is revealed. It's not his elbow that's causing him trouble, it has healed, but it's his shoulder.

Atobe wants the match to take as long as he can make it to strain Tezuka's arm as much as he can. Tezuka must know this, he must've figured it out, but to everyone's surprise he seems to go with the flow, welcoming a long match. It doesn't make much sense, but he must have a reason.

Winning... But is winning more important then your health? Supposedly, when it comes to these guys it is.

Although instigating the long match, it is starting to frustrate Atobe. After playing for an hour and a half, he hasn't seen the results he is aiming for. Tezuka is not showing any sighs of stopping. He's playing on sheer determination. Just one point left to go.

"No!" several gasps ring throughout the court as his racket slips from his fingers and collapses on his knees, clutching his shoulder.

"Tezuka!" Oishi shouts, jumping over the edge separating him from his friend and captain, the others right behind him.

"Don't come!" Tezuka's stern voice calls. "Turn back. The match hasn't ended yet." he tells his surprised teammates before picking up his racket and rising to his feet.

He takes a short break after scooting everyone out of the court again, during which Ryumi glances over towards Atobe. Despite having accomplished his goal, he doesn't look particularly happy about it.

"Not very satisfactory, is it Atobe?" she hums.

Despite everyone urging him not to continue, Tezuka stubbornly picks back up his racket and somehow Oishi seems to understand. He's worried, but he knows of Tezuka's determination. He wants to help them to the Nationals, no matter what.

"Seigaku!!" a voice shouts over their heads, making them all look up to see that Kawamura has returned, picking up the flag without difficulty. Seems he's okay after all.

With him cheering in the background, the rest follows his example.

Ryumi watches her little brother speak to his captain before stepping off the court, bag in tow. To prepare, or is he anxious? Who knows? He can be so difficult at times. She gets up on her feet, following after him.

Ryuzaki will take his place now that she's back.

"Can I borrow a racket?" she asks when having caught up to him.

He looks over his shoulder for a moment. "Sure." he muses, letting her follow him to a court.

She takes one of his rackets before moving to the other side of the court, spinning it around in her fingers.

"Haven't seen you do that in a while." Ryoma muses to his sister, smirking. "Are you planning on getting serious?"

She returns the gesture. "My little brother asked me to work harder. Can't disappoint my chibisuke, can I? Just as you can't disappoint your team; They'll be counting on you. It's a heavy weight to carry. Are you ready for it?" she asks him, taking her place at the baseline.