Chapter 2

I stared at the sewn skin that I had just revealed by taking off the bandages. Liam had gotten a phone call and had to step out of my room for a minuet so I was left alone with my thoughts. The thought of telling someone, let alone a person of authority, my biggest secret which could lead my my own harm

(or death) was terrifying. I ran my finger over one of the stitches and felt nothing. The numb skin hid the pain i would've had. He cut me. My father cut me. He had done many things before, but his abusive side was taking over. His anger was getting worse and his need was getting stronger. i felt hopeless. I could see Liam through the crack in the blinds in the window of the hospital room. He was pacing and talking as he rubbed his brow.  I looked down at my hands and was startled when the door slammed shut. I felt my breathing pick up as I saw Lily standing there looking at me with worried eyes. I tried to control myself as i felt the tears coming. I shook my head and felt my eyebrows crinkle. Lily ran over to my side pulling me in as I squeezed my eyes shut letting the tears stream down my cheeks.

"I am so sorry." She said at almost a whisper. I heard her voice crack and I knew she was on the verge of crying. I buried my face in her hair and I felt her rub my back. "Its going to be alright. Its stopping. Now. I'm sorry for not doing something." I looked up shaking my head. She looked at me with watery eyes and she wiped tears from my cheeks and grabbed both sides of my face. "Hey!" She said forcing me to look into her eyes. "You need to smile sweetie. We will get through this! And we need to clean you up! I bought tickets to the carnival Friday and we have hot guys that are in need of chic's to drool over." I laughed through my tears and she pulled me in again. 

I heard the door open again and we pulled back. Liam was standing there looking like he was trying to maintain his composure. He looked down at his hands.

"Wait a minuet..." Lily said looking at me. "Are you...?" She trailed off and he nodded. She looked at me with one eyebrow raised. "Care to explain?"

"Well..." Liam said sitting down in a chair across the room from my bed. "Its one heck of a story."

"I bet!" Lily said with edge. Why was she mad? "Um...Why are you here?"

"Lily!" I said correcting her and she looked at me with a 'what?' expression and I continued. "He saved my life." I said looking down and taking a deep breath.

"And I would do it again in an instant." Liam said swiftly and I looked up at his caring smile.

"Well with that comment I guess I should give you a chance." Lily breathed and she stood walking over to him. I watched as she held out her hand for Liam and he shook it. "Lily Bell." She said quietly, glancing back at me with a smile. "Best friends, well more like sisters, with your damsel in distress over there."

Lily was my whole life. We were as close as two friends could get. We had most of the same classes and we were both into the same things so we hit it off straight from the beginning. We met in 7th grade when I moved to Myrtle Beach to move in with my dad after my mother  passed away. It was funny how she bounced up to me one day and invited me to sit with her because she said I looked lonely. Lily was the outgoing confident one and I was the shy insecure one. We balanced each other out. She was always happy and knew how to make everyone happy. I kept to myself and was known as the nice quiet girl. At school we were a package deal and everyone knew that. Of coarse we had our other friends but we were as tight as tight could be.

But no one knew what happened at home. I made sure of that and so did he. I didn't even tell Lily although by the end of 8th grade we were close enough that she finally just asked why I hadn't ever invited her over to my house. I just told her I hated it and we managed to skate by. I knew she could tell it was a touchy subject for me and she normally left it alone. I tired to spend as much possible time away from home as I could.