Chapter 3~ Movement

I stared at this girl in front of me. She looked tired. Upset. Mature for her age. Her under eye bags were prominent and she looked, almost sick. Her natural spiral curls stretched down past her shoulders. Her face natural and without makeup. But even without makeup her eyes were the most noticeable thing. They shined with different shades of blue swirling in perfect harmony. They told her story. Her jeans and distressed t-shirt lay loosely on her body. She studied me. Her eyebrows crinkled and she pressed her lips into a thin line, looking down, mocking me. Her bruised arms looked painful all the way down to her braided bracelet on her right wrist. She slowly lifted her t-shirt to reveal stitches running up her left side. They were scabbed and in the midst of healing. And in the center of all her pain and hell of a life, there was a glimmer. She knew it herself. She was going to be alright. She was going to make it through this.

I crinkled my toes, taking a deep breath stepping away from the full length mirror and walking over to the hospital bed where I had spent the last week. They were releasing me tonight. They had been keeping here for safety reasons and because the nurse wanted to keep me here until they could relocate me. Yes, they were relocating me. They took Michael Devine, my father, into custody three days ago. Something inside of me still was scared to death, like he could still come get me, hurt me, kill me. I just wanted to go back to Myrtle. I wanted to go back to the beach with my mom and look for the seashells that had washed up on shore during the night like we used to. But i couldn't.

Over the next three days after Liam told Lily everything, they became close. They had one thing in common, worrying about me. It wasn't strange having Lily worry, but Liam, now that was weird. He seemed to care about me and he only knew what Lily had told him and what he knew from me explaining to the nurse, and then again to the police, what happened at home. I knew Liam felt it to. We had a strange connection. A mutual trust. I don't know why but I trusted him, I let him it, right from the beginning. Yeah, him saving my life probably had something to do with that but, i fell like there is something more.

Lily was still asleep on the reclining couch with the television on in front of her. It was quiet in the room but I felt content. I had spent the last week watching way to much television and getting poked and prodded at by nurses who were checking on me even though I was fine accept for my stitches. Lily had stayed here with me all week. Only leaving once every day to shower and change. Liam left a few days ago having a gig somewhere. Right before he left he hugged me tightly and promised he would be back soon. I was really upset at first. Something about me needed him with me. I felt safe with him. It was strange to think that he was singing in front of tons of screaming girls who were dying to meet him when I just happened to be saved by him.

It didn't change how I felt about him though. Him being in One Direction wasn't why i felt drawn to him. It was something else.

He had been gone now for 4 days and I missed him greatly although I didn't dare show it. I didn't know why i missed him so much. I'd only known him for the shortest time. He called Lily every day and I could hear her giving him the updates and making silly jokes about me in attempt to cheer me up as well as him. Lily would let me talk to him for a little while each time and he would always start by asking me how I was and end with telling me he would see me soon.

Lily's phone went off and I was ripped from my thoughts just as she was torn from her slumber.

"Hello." Lily said flatly rubbing her face and yawning. "What? Sorry i just woke up and i gotta pee here's Nat." Lily said throwing the phone at me and I giggled at her bluntness pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey! Sorry about her..." I said giggling.

"Don't be!" He chuckled. "How are you?" I knew that was coming.