Chapter 16~ Getting Knocked Down Teaches Us to Get Back Up

I walked down the stairs and up to a smiling Derek. I looked up to him with a smile of my own.

“What?” I said with a slight laugh.

“I’ve missed everything about Chicago. It’s really nice to be back.” He said flatly as if it pained him to say so. I walked beside him and he started to lead me down the street. I felt his hand move to the small of my back and I bit the inside of my lip. For a second it felt like Liam’s.

“How long are you here for…?” I said trailing off, looking down at my feet which were covered by me run down black converse.

“As long as I’d like. I’m not exactly sure yet.” He said simply as we headed toward the main street where we could catch a cab.

“Where are we going?” I said quietly and he laughed. “What?” I said with a confused half smile.

“First of all, when are you ever quiet around me? And second, it’s a surprise!” He said happily.

“Fine!” I said with a laugh and when we reached the street he signaled for a cab, which came immediately. I pulled open the bright yellow door and slid inside. I gripped my stomach. It had been hurting like crazy and I had popped two pills this morning. I was trying to ignore the stabbing pain and enjoy the day. Derek handed the driver a piece of paper and the guy read it and nodded. He sat back and I could feel his eyes on me as I looked out the window.

“You can’t be like this forever.” He said with a challenging look.

“Like what?” I said looking into his blue eyes, which were always so filled with emotion.

“We used to tell each other everything and with Lily and Tyler having their own problems, I know you, you will go to the ends of the earth to bury them and pretend like they aren’t there. You are strong Natasha, but everyone needs someone to talk to. You can talk to me.” He spoke and I looked down. I honestly didn’t know if I could talk to him anymore. I heard him sigh and he ran his hands over his face. “There is so much you don’t know Natasha. I want to tell you. I will tell you. Just I have to find the right time.” He said and I squinted at him, confused. “Don’t ask.” He said, one step ahead of me. “I will tell you in due time.” He said and I nodded.

“It surprises me how after everything, I still trust you.” I said taking a deep breath and stating the truth with a straight face. He looked at me, his eyes showed sorrow. An emotion Derek was not one to show. He was the strong, tough love type. He told me, though, that I was his one soft spot. We honestly brought out parts of each other that we didn’t even know existed. I took a deep breath and rested my head on his shoulder. “And I don’t understand why, but I’m glad I do.” I said just telling him exactly how I felt.

“Me too.” Derek said rubbing my back. We drove off in the distance.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

“Derek!” I said smiling at the giant ferris wheel in front of my, just up the stairs. “I should have known you were taking me here.” He laughed and started up the stairs. I just stood there, a huge smile plastered on my face.

“Well are you coming?” He said with a smile and I laughed bobbing up the stairs. I gripped my stomach, and bit my lip to stop from crying out in pain. Derek didn’t see, he just peered up at the ferris wheel. I walked up until I was next to him and smiled up at the giant machine.

“You are thinking the exact same thing as me aren’t you?” I said sweetly. He nodded taking my hand and walking up to the big booth that read ‘McDonalds Ferris Wheel’ He bought the tickets and we were in a car in the blink of an eye. I sat down across from me and we both did what we always do, we put our feet up next to each other. The move started to slowly begin and I felt my stomach do a flip-flop. I don’t even remember the last time I smiled like this. I took a deep breath.