Chapter 15~ Emptiness

It was just after dark and the library was completely deserted. I tapped my pencil impulsivly against my AP calculous text book. I snapped my fingers, a small smile spreading across my face as I finally understood. I laughed quietly at myself. 

"Excuse me?" A male voice spoke. 

"Hmm?" I said writing something on my paper and not bothering to look up at him. 

"Umm.." He chuckled to himself. I just kept my focus on the work in front of me.. "Sorry if this sounds weird, but do I know you?" This caught me off guard and I looked up at the tall, dark haired, cryptic boy a little older than myself. His ice blue eyes mesmerized me and my breath caught in my throat. He must have noticed because he looked down at the ground with a flirty smile. I caught myself and looked down.

"Um, Sorry no I don’t think we have." He smiled to himself and looked into my eyes. 

"Yeah you are probably right. I would have remembered those eyes." I giggled to myself and looked down, my normal shyness taking over. "AP calc!" The boy said sliding in the seat next to me. "Been there, done that, not doing that again." He said with a chuckle. I looked up at his beautiful face and bit my lip. 

"It's not that bad." I said with a smile.

"Just wait." He grinned.

"Great." I drug out.

"Derek, by the way." He said moving some hair from in front of his eyes. "My dad's work just transferred him here and since I just graduated in the spring I thought this would be an adventure." 

"Natasha. That’s cool! Where did you move from?” I said trying to hide my giggles. His figure was strong and he was at least six foot tall. His eye contact was unique. It was strong and connecting. It sent chills down my spine.

“Houston. It’s so much colder here.” He said with a smile and I giggled. “I lived here until I was three but we moved after my mom died.”

“Oh I’m sorry.” I said biting my lip, looking down.

“Don’t be! You didn’t do anything.” He said with a chuckle. “I barley knew her anyway.” I looked down at my notebook.

“You said you graduated, are you thinking about college?” I said trying to make conversation.

“Yeah. I don’t know where though. I am taking a year off to figure myself out.” He said with a chuckle. “I’m arguably complicated.” I giggled and tried to act like I wasn’t totally crushing on him. “Anyway Natasha, I could really use someone to show me around the city. Are you up for that sometime?” He said with an adorable grin. I nodded and my lips creased into a smile.

“Yeah! That’d be fun!” I said trying to keep my composure.

“How you doin with that calculous?” He said, eyeing my work.

“Fine. Why?” I said, confused.

“Cause it’s Friday night and I know we both would rather be doing something fun than sitting in an empty library.” I looked down. He was right. “It’ll be fun!” He said with a smile, noticing my hesitation. I looked up at him with squinting eyes before letting a smile come across my face. “Yes!!” He said quickly standing up. I threw my things into my bag and walked over to the front desk.

“Hey Peg!” I said handing her my bag. “Can I just leave this here. I’ll be back sometime tomorrow.” The older woman pushed her glasses up on her nose and placed my bag behind the counter.

“Of coarse hun!” She said sweetly. “Just be careful with this boy. How old are you?” She eyed Derek.

“Twenty ma’am and don’t worry I will be no harm to Natasha.” He said politely and I looked down, a blush creeping up on my face and my butterflies growing.  She smiled at him and shuffled my feet. He lead me out of the library and out into the beautiful city.