Chapter 17~ Dreams That Are Reality

Complete darkness eventually gave way to blurry light, soft shades of blue and moving figures surrounded me. Muffled voices spoke hastily at each other as if in a rush. My whole body was numb.I heard beeping and the definitive sound of metal. Where was I? I tried to moan, to make any sound at all but to no prevail. The muffled voices slowly grew more distinguishable. 

"She's gaining consciousness. More anesthesia!" A woman's strong, hurried voice spoke. I felt cold all at once before the dark shadows slowly started to envelope me once again. It was different this time though. I didn't't fight it. I welcomed it.

*     *     *     *     *

A hazy picture slowly formed before me. I was in a hospital bed. My entire body was still numb and my head was throbbing. I could begin to make out where I was. An organized hospital room lay fuzzy around me. The walls were painted a soft brown with dark accents giving the room a home like vibe. I didn;t move as I examined my surroundings. I strained my eyes as I noticed a blurry figure sitting in the corner of the room in a dark brown, stiff looking chair. He looked upset, or angry as he stared in my direction. His feet were planted firmly on the ground and his torso was slanted backward as he pressed it against the chair. His elbows were on the arm rest and his hands were folded under his chin. I studied his facial features. His soft brow hair was up as if he had ran his fingers through it and it stayed up. His breath taking eyes came into notice and his beauty was more than clear through my hazy spyglass. Then the face recognition came back to me. It hit me hard just who exactly was sitting before me. Liam.

I closed my eyes, exploring my own thoughts. It's impossible. How did I get here? Was I hurt? Liam left. He isn't here. This is a dream. A good one at that. Just feeling his imaginary presence made me feel secure and safe. I felt exhausted all at once. I let myself go. I smiled into the relief that was the darkness with his eyes, a burning image in my mind.

The next time sense returned to me, it was different. It wasn't't gradual, it was fast and overwhelming. I could feel my body and I even wiggled my toes. It felt good to breath in and feel my chest move up and down with the expansion of my lungs. It was a seance of relief. I looked around, surprised that I was in a hotel room. Just like in my dream. It all came back to me. The blood, the fainting, the surgery. I decided to sit up. Wrong move. I immediately retreated, but not without a grimace of pain.

I quickly looked around for a phone or something but nothing was around. I was tempted to press the nurse call button.

Suddenly the door flew open. The nurse walked in followed by an obviously pissed off Derek. “What do you mean it could be days?! It’s already been two!” He yelled but then looked over at me and shock took over. He ran over to my side.

“Natasha!” He said cupping my cheeks in his hands. “You are awake.” I just sat there looking into his beautiful, welcoming eyes. The nurse pulled him into a chair.

“Sit down Derek! She is probably overwhelmed and needs some space to breathe!” She yelled in his direction while examining me. Her hands smelled of alcohol wipes and her blond hair was tied back into a messy bun. She looked just a bit older than Derek and her eyes were a deep gray that softened with her expression as she looked at me. “Hey there sweetie! How are you feeling?” I looked at her and then down at my hands.

“What happened, exactly?” I said at a whisper, my voice sounded sickly and I cleared my throat. She licked her lips and looked down before back up at me.

“Natasha, were you having some abdominal pain?” I nodded slowly at her question. “You were internally bleeding and your wound opened. You went through three different surgeries. You have been in a medical induced coma for two days.” She said softly. My line of sight fell to the bandages and I felt my breathing pick up. I felt a hand go on my shoulder. “It is going to be fine! You are healing up fine! You should be able to walk in the next day!” She said with a weak smile. I bit the inside of my lip, fighting off the tears and I heard Derek speak up.