★ | 019. the sacrifice

Book: Locked Away
Chapter 19: The Sacrifice
Word Count: 3293

Xander kept his distance from Damon as they stood in front of the tomb

Xander kept his distance from Damon as they stood in front of the tomb. They had come to talk to Katherine about the moonstone and the air surrounding them was more than tense. Stefan could tell something had happened between them but didn't ask. Not only because they had other things to focus on but because it looked like neither of them wanted to talk about it. He couldn't say he wasn't curious though.

Xander would tell him when he was ready.

After removing the large stone, blocking them off from the bitch of a vampire, Katherine came around the corner, using the wall for support. Her hair was a mess, dress covered in dirt and she looked weak. Very weak and hungry. Not drinking any blood will do that to you.

"Please... come on in. There's plenty of room for all of us." Her voice was weak and scratchy, sounding nothing like her usual confident, sultry tone.

"I'd rather poke my eyes out." Damon commented, already annoyed by her and she had hardly done anything.

Katherine rolled her eyes and licked her dry lips. "Mmm, they're such pretty eyes."

Xander steppes forward, wanting to get this over as quickly as possible so he could leave. He would just rather be by himself right now and didn't even want to come in the first place. Stefan has asked so nicely though and when he heard it was Katherine they were going to see, that was something he really couldn't refuse. "We're here for the moonstone. Could you save us some trouble and just hand it over?"

Katherine pursed her lips, not an ounce of humour in her dull eyes. "Tell you what, you get your little witch to hocus pocus me out of here, you can have whatever you want."

Stefan laughed in disbelief. "I thought you liked it in here. Nice and safe where Klaus can't get to you."

"I've had time to reconsider."

"Meaning you're hungry."

Katherine snapped towards the older Salvatore with a heated glare. "I'm starving, Damon. And dirty. But above all, I'm bored." She slowly got closer to them, stumbling as she went, grasping at the wall. "At least running from Klaus wasn't boring, so here's the deal: you get me out of here, you get the moonstone and I'll disappear from Mystic Falls forever. Let me know what you decide." She held up the moonstone for them to see, a smirk finally finding its way onto her as she walked back into the darkness of the cave.

Xander clenched his fist at his side. Of course she wanted to get free but they couldn't do that. They had to think of something else.

▼ ▲ ▼ ▲

"You don't believe her, do you?" Elena asked as soon as they finished recounting their visit with Katherine.