Chapter 29

a/n: i meant to write + post this chapter along with a bunch of other updates a couple days ago but stuff came up and i was feeling unmotivated... but leave it to me to write a ton of stuff for my books at 2:30am when i can't sleep

- Alexander -

I think things are finally starting to look up for me. Walking around the crowded hallways of the school, dodging clingy couples and groups of overly noisy friends, I made my way to class for the first time in three days.

I wasn't anxious about coming back. I wasn't upset either. School gave me something to do, something to occupy my time and distract myself from the memories of my past, the memories I couldn't get rid of. I was able to see friends and hang out with John in some of our classes.

Walking to chemistry, I thought over what I would've missed in the past couple of days. The class is almost all labs and worksheets, so it shouldn't be too hard to complete a couple papers and make up a lab or two. I was in such a daze thinking about my missed work that I didn't notice Thomas Jefferson approaching me. And just when I thought my problems were finished...

"Ah, look at that. Mute is back! Where were you, huh? Were you skipping? Afraid that you'd get beat by me and your little boyfriend John Laurens wouldn't know?" He said, whacking my books from my arms. They tumble to the floor along with my folders full of classwork. Papers swirl gently to the floor as Thomas corners me. What else is new?

He cracked his knuckles and began to attack. Students collected around him, watching me get beat into a pulp. But they did nothing. No one went to get a teacher or stop Thomas or anything. Some of them even laughed, slapping Thomas's back in encouragement.

I felt blood drip from my nose and everything began to get blurry. I could practically feel the bruises already forming and my head began to throb. My ribs hurt from being punched so much and I swear, one of them had to be broken.

Why me? Why does he decide to pick on me? I can't even defend myself. I refuse to stoop to his level so I don't fight back. I can't speak so I can't call for help or spit back the insults he whirls at me. I'm helpless, in the worst situation possible.

Dark spots dance in my vision and I start to feel sick, my nose bleeding heavily. It hurts so bad... he just keeps hitting me and kicking me and punching me. A little more of this and I'm a goner. Someone... someone, please help me.

And then suddenly:

"Hey! Hey, get to class, go. Mr Jefferson, go to the principals office, now. Mr Hamilton, let's get you to the nurse..." Mr Washington runs over, shoving student out of the way. He must've heard the commotion from down the hall and come to see what was wrong. Thank god he got here in time.

Jefferson ran off to the office, intimidated by Washington. I tried to pull myself off the floor but swayed on my feet before I was fully even up, feeling my vision go dark a little bit. Mr Washington told me to hold still, and he picked me up gently.

"Jesus, Hamilton, you're so light. Do you ever eat?" He joked, carrying me to the nurse. I shrugged a little, suddenly uncomfortable.

"You know, when you weren't in class for a few days, I got worried. You're such a bright student and you hardly ever miss unless you're forced to... and now all this with Jefferson. What happened?" He asked, setting me down on the cot in the nurses office. She dashed in immediately, moving around the room for bandages and ice packs and all sorts of things.

I feel too tired to explain everything. It hurts a lot and my hands are bruised and signing is so tiring.

Get John Laurens. I sign quickly. Mr Washington nods and leaves, hopefully to get my boyfriend.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror across from the cot. I had two black eyes forming and my face was covered in dried blood from my very swollen nose. I looked down at myself and lifted my shirt to see bruises already covering me.

They looked as though they had been painted on my body. Deep purples and reds mixed with cold blues and almost zombie looking greens. It was horrific and unnatural looking. My stomach was more of those colors than my regular faded tan. I leaned against the thin pillow on the cot and closed my eyes.

I woke up a little later, feeling extremely sore and confused as to where I was, before remembering what happened. I saw Mr Washington talking to the nurse and noticed John was right by my side, sitting in a chair next to me and stroking my hand, which he was holding. It reminded me of being in the hospital.

I began to sit up, trying to see what time it was or how long I slept for. John gently pushed me back down, telling me that I'd only been asleep for about fifteen minutes and that he explained to Mr Washington why I was gone.

"Why didn't you tell me Jefferson was doing this to you?" He whispered. I looked away and shrugged.

I don't know. I sort of wish I did though. I signed. John sighed and kissed my forehead softly, rubbing his hand on my cheek.

"I hate seeing you like this. Just... when things don't go the way they should, talk to me. I can help you, or at least try. We could've avoided this incident if you just let me know..." He said softly. I nodded a little bit and held onto his hand, taking in the silence between us as I tried to listen to the hushed voices of the nurse and Mr Washington.

"Alright. Alexander, you're going to stay here for a little bit longer while I go speak to Thomas and the principal. John, I'll write you a pass to go back to class, ok?" He said, turning back to us at last. John kissed me again and waved a little bit, making me smile. He left with a pass and the nurse finished cleaning me up. Meanwhile, I could hear muffled yelling from next door where Jefferson sat with Washington and the principal of the school.

All I wanted to do on my first day back was go to class, see my friends again and have a good day.

So far, I've accomplished exactly zero of those things.