chapter 40 | chasm

WARNING!!: CONTAINS SENSITIVE TOPICS (RAPE, BAD LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE) PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION! IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE READING THIS CHAPTER, THERE WILL BE A RECAP IN THE NEXT CHAPTER

WARNING!!: CONTAINS SENSITIVE TOPICS (RAPE, BAD LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE) PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION! IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE READING THIS CHAPTER, THERE WILL BE A RECAP IN THE NEXT CHAPTER. THANK YOU.

VENUS

I SIT in the dormitories on my bed with my legs crossed, thinking. It's about seven, Harmonie isn't back from the cafeteria yet. She has something to tell me and I want to know, I need to know. But I've already tried asking and she didn't say a word.

Is it about Rhett? Peter? Kathleen?

Or is it about initiation?

I rub my eyes, clearing my thoughts. Shuffling comes from outside the dormitory and I quickly lay down, squeezing my eye shut. I hear quite a few voices, maybe Emily and Al, maybe Harmonie or Ollie or Tris. I keep my eyes tightly closed until the shuffling of feet ceases, and everyone is in their cots - either asleep or trying to get to sleep.

I don't want to close my eyes again, scared I'll suffer from the same dream I did the night before. My heart begins to pound at the thought of it, the night gets closer and closer until I hear settled breathing - everyone is asleep but me.

Sitting up, my eyes adjust to the darkness. I slip the covers off my body, my legs hang over the edge of the bed, my toes touch the ground and I stand up. I didn't plan on sleeping in the first place, actually: I'm still wearing the tank top and jeans I was wearing this morning.

Maybe if I walk around and get a drink from the fountain, I'll get tired and hopefully fall asleep? Even if I don't want to, I have to have a sharp mind for the next hallucination.

Walking over to the door, I open it and walk out. It shouldn't take too long to reach the water fountain, but it is relitively close to the chasm. Just thinking about the roaring waters, like the hallucination today, makes my stomach twist.

Just as I see the blue light shining down on the metal fountain, my vision is shut off by a hand over my eyes. Someone grips my shoulders, holding my hands behind my back and I furiously wriggle around. I hear the sound of tape being pulled from a reel and then my lips are pursed against something sticky against my mouth. My pupils dialate, and all I can think is:

I'm going to get pushed from the chasm. I'm going to die.

I sense the presence of at least three people or more, and sage and lemongrass washes over me. Al.

"Let her see where she's going," I hear a voice, distinctively Peter. I feel anger build inside me. "Let her see where she's gonna die."

I knew it. I'm going to die here. Peter is going to kill me, and Al is going to help. Why Al? What did I ever do to him, to deserve this?

Just as Al removes his hand from my eyes, I see Peter in front of me. He is smirking cruely, and there is someone beside him, a ski mask covering her face. I can tell by her build that she's a girl, and if there wasn't anything covering my mouth I would've said her name. Kathleen.