chapter 52 | correct room

VENUS

VENUS

THE ALLEYWAY is one of many. Most of them, as I figured, are now swarming with soldiers. I could use Marcus as a shield. That's a good idea, I guess.

"We need to get to the abandoned building," I explain. "It'll be safe there. We'll wait it out and then head to Dauntless and shut down the system-"

"You seem to have this all planned out, don't you?" Marcus grumbles. I scoff loudly.

"And of course you don't! At least I have a plan to stop Dauntless from killing your entire faction!"

"Lower your voice-" He tries, although I sharply cut him off.

"Fuck off. I don't have time for this." Marcus looks gobsmacked that I used that language on him, but he used to use it on me, and he doesn't really qualify to be a suitable father anymore.

Suddenly, a gunshot sounds. I duck just in time, as the bullet slams into a metal bin. Garbage spills out, and I cock the gun and aim it at-

Harmonie. Oh, my God.

"Harmonie, don't shoot!" I gasp, shakily holding the gun now. "It's me! It's Venus!"

Harmonie doesn't look like she's listening, her eyes unfocused and glassy. She approaches me in quick steps, and I hear the click as the bullet falls into the chamber, but it isn't from her gun. A bang sounds, and Harmonie falls. A scream gets caught in my throat when I see Emily standing over her, there are tear streaks down her face.

"It's okay. I shot her in the foot. It's okay." She sounds shaken up as she creeps around Harmonie's agonized body. "We have to go. I saw Jeanine take Tris and Four and Eric into some building."

"Wait... how are you here?" I gasp. "How are you awake?"

She shrugs, and smiles faintly. "I guess I'm Divergent." She doesn't sound happy about it. She sounds scared.

"Which building?" I say, my brows furrowed. I hardly notice that Marcus is actually still with us as Emily reluctantly hands him a handgun. She prepares her own gun, holding it up as we peak around the corner of a house.

"I don't know. But I think Jeanine knows about you. She might not be able to kill you, but she can hurt you somehow." Emily continues once the coast is clear. We run toward the abandoned building, and I let out a sigh of relief as we run inside, and down into the basement.

Natalie isn't here, but Caleb is. "Where is she?" I demand.

"Went to find Beatrice," Caleb rushes. "You have to find her."

"I'll go with," Emily offers, and a huge part of me doesn't want to run anymore but an even bigger part of me needs to save my friend.

"Jeanine could've taken her anywhere," I grumble. "We'll just have to look."