Chapter Thirty

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping, no that was a lie. I woke up to the sound of an annoying horn coming from my window so I got up to check who was behind all that horrible noise.

There was a pickup truck just across the street, looked like someone was moving in due to the furniture in the bed of it. I glanced over to my bedside table and read the time; nine twenty three.

I headed over to the bathroom and took a hot shower to clear my mind. There were a thousand questions I was dying to get the answers to.

Why did Maximus let go of Evanora and if he knew where I was then why hadn't he come after me yet but more importantly how was I supposed to defeat him with the four elements when he could do almost anything he wanted.

It was finally a Saturday which meant I would have the whole day to practice. After a week of practicing earth I was hoping I could convince Elsa that we needed to move faster, especially with Rhea and Arian around.

I slipped on my training clothes and a jacket then headed down stairs for some breakfast where I found my mother drinking her coffee.

"Morning" I said as I poured myself a cup of my own.

"You're dressed" she said sounding confused.

"Yeah, I'm heading over to the palace to practice, remember?"

"Oh yeah, for a minute there I forgot" she said staring off into the distance, "Good luck"

"Mom, is everything okay?" I asked as I sat down in front of her.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't it be?"

"You just seem" I paused searching for the right word.

"Worried, I'm just worried" she smiled softly and placed her hand over mine, "Be careful, okay?"

"I will, I promise"

"I already lost your father and I'm not ready to lose you too" she whispered softly.

I was about to comfort her and tell her that she won't when something crossed my mind, I knew that it would bring back painful memories but I had to ask.

"Mom, what exactly happened to dad?"

Her eyes widened at my question but then she lowered her head as tears formed in her eyes, she took in a deep breath then started explaining.

"He was murdered; here in this kitchen" she took in a shaky breath then her eyes shifted behind me, "You were only four months old at the time. He was the one that named you Katherine, did you know that?"

"No, I didn't"

"I was out getting groceries and he was here watching over you, when I came home I checked your room first and found you asleep, I remember kissing your forehead then closing the door so your father and my voices didn't wake you" a tear fell from her eye that she wiped right away.

"You know what, we can do this later. When you're ready" I said as I pulled my hand away and was about to stand up.

"No, I owe it to you. You deserve to know what happened to your father" she said as she grabbed my hand to stop me from leaving so I took hold of hers and nodded.

"I looked for him in his study room but couldn't find him so I headed to the kitchen, that's where I found him. Lying on the kitchen floor, there was a puddle of blood around him" she pressed her lips together to stop herself from crying but the tears came down anyway.

"Did they find out who did it?"

"No, they never did. He had been stabbed with a knife three times in the chest and the murderer wasn't found. They advised me to leave town but I had nowhere to go so I stayed"

"Well, did they find out why someone hurt him? What they were after?"

"The police said they might have tried to rob the house but nothing was missing"

My father was murdered seventeen years ago, Evanora said that she was sent here seven years ago which means it couldn't have been her, but where the rest sent at the same time? Or had they been sent before?

Maybe there was someone else who was sent after me, someone who found me but my father got in the way.

I said goodbye to my mom and left the house in a hurry, we agreed that I would take the car since she wasn't planning on going anywhere.

I drove straight to the forest and ran as fast as I could to get to Rhea and Arian.

Elsa opened the door for me but I was in too much of a hurry to explain, I ran down the stairs the led to the basement and followed the sound of Rhea's voice till I reached them.

They were locked up in a room but instead of a door there were silver bars between us, since they had powers I didn't understand how the bars were keeping them in until I touched them.

The metal stung my fingers so I backed away with a hiss then noticed that Rhea had staopped talking.

When I looked up, both of them were staring at me with hatred in their eyes but I didn't care. I stared back at them with the same cold expression.

"You" I said pointing at Rhea, "How many years ago were you sent here?"

"Why should I tell you?" she responded and turned away.

"Because if you won't willingly them I'll make you" I spat pointing my finger at her.

"You don't scare me" she said stubbornly then she seemed to think again and hesitantly answered, "Twelve, why do you want to know?"

"How about you?" I said nodding my head towards Arian.

He looked up at me and smirked then chuckled a bit, "wouldn't you want to know?"

"Just answer my question" I replied.

"Seventeen" he said slowly, the smirk growing into a big smile, a big disgusting smile.