Chapter Forty one

I listened to the sound of the pouring rain as I stared at the ceiling above me. I was laying on Razan's bed, trying not to think of Chris. But after half an hour, I realized that it was impossible to get him off my mind.

My thoughts wandered back to our first grocery trip. How we ran under the rain to get to his car. And then I remembered our date night at my house, when the electricity went off.

God, I missed him.

I got up with a sigh and headed to the living room, where I last left everyone. I had told them that I had a headache and needed to lie down, when I was really just tired of listening to their horrible attempts to come up with a plan to take back the throne.

They were trying to think of a way to get into the Dark Palace without gaining attention, then sneaking up on Maximus. The plan sounded ridiculous.

Razan's living room was small, a couch was set at the back with a fireplace on the wall to it's right. A small, round table was in the middle and a huge bookshelf took up the left wall.

Mark and Sam were curled up together on the couch, sound asleep. Elsa was standing next to the bookshelf, flipping through the pages of an old book. And Josh was trying to charm Razan.

He was leaning against the wall, with his arms crossed and a big smirk on his lips as he nodded his head to what she was saying. From the look on his face, I was sure he couldn't understand a thing.

"Any luck finding an underground tunnel waiting for us to sneak through? Or maybe a secret door that'll take us straight to Maximus?" I teased earning myself a roll of the eyes.

"Nope. That headache getting any better?" Elsa replied.

"Nope."

It was hard to make our next move, so many things were out of place and none of this was planned. We needed time, but with Chris gone, time was the only thing we didn't have.

My eyes landed on the love birds on the couch. Mark's arms were wrapped around Sam's back, holding her tight. His head was resting on hers, which was snuggled in the crook of his neck.

I sighed and wished that could be me, feeling safe in the arms of the guy I was in love with. The guy that helped me get this far without losing my mind.

A knock on the door brought me back to reality. "I'll get it," I said then hurried through the narrow hallway which lead to the front door.

It took me a couple seconds to figure out how to open the lock, while the person at the door impatiently knocked.

When I finally opened it, I found Evanora standing in the rain. Her hair was soaked, her skin pale and her lips blue.

My first reaction was to shut the door as I started to panic.

He found us.

Her hand stopped the door from closing then she quickly held up her necklace. "It's me."

Before I could react, she stomped past me and looked around. I noticed that her necklace was purple, and then sighed in relief.

"This place looks like a dump," she said and I resisted the urge to hug her.

I hated her so much before but with everything going on, I was glad to see her. Glad to hear her thick accent and her obnoxious comments. It was indeed, the snobby Evanora I knew.

"What happened to you?"

"How the hell should I know. One minute I was on the couch, watching a hideous movie, and the next I was lying on the muddy ground." She squeezed her hair, making a puddle of water on the floor.