Chapter Thirty Six

The school was filled with banners as the grand winter ball was only two days away.

I walked down the hallway after my third period and headed to the cafeteria. Looking up, I read another banner saying: The Grand Winter Ball at Ravenwood high, Friday.

I felt excitement run through me and a small smile force itself on my lips.

This would be my first ball, and not only would I get to attend but I will actually be participating in it with someone I'm excited to dance with.

I never thought that my life would ever be this exciting; it was always just my mother and I, living a simple life. I used to hang out with Sam a couple of times a week, Mark would sometimes be there.

Josh always invited himself so I just got used to him being around whenever Mark was.

I hugged my textbook to my chest and pushed the cafeteria door open with my elbow, scanning the room, I tapped my nose until found my friends sitting at a table near the window.

Putting my textbook down, I grabbed the brown bag next to Sam and took out an apple, she was busy talking to Mark about his parents; they were leaving tonight for a winter vacation in Italy.

Chris was sitting in front of me sipping a can of cherry coke and staring at Josh who was trying to build a house out of fries.

"Where's Chelsea?" I asked him with a smirk, he froze then glared at me from the corner of his eye.

"Who?" he replied, then went back to stacking fry over fry.

"The crazy chick you asked out the other day," Chris replied smirking back at me.

Turns out, Josh really did try to ask her out and she took it a little too seriously.

She thinks they're a couple now.

"What the hell are you doing?" Sam asked Josh, he ignored her and pretended to be focused on the task at hand.

"Here she comes," Mark sang startling Josh.

"Where?" he asked, jumping out of his chair and looking around.

"It's funny how all you ever wanted was all the girls to want you and now you're literally running away from them," Sam said getting herself a glare from Josh but before he could reply Chelsea called out from behind him.

"Josh babe, Joshua," she called as she tried to make her way through a crowd of students.

"Josh! It's just Josh," he yelled out then scrunched his nose and ran off, disappearing into the crowd.

I giggled and looked out of the window; the wet green grass was filled with yellow and red leaves, the trees were bare and the sky was cloudy.

Winter had always been my favorite season.

A few minutes later the bell rang signaling the end of lunch, Chris and I started walking towards my next period while Sam and Mark made their way to the gym since they both had P.E.

"The coach says that we're going to have our first game in two weeks so I can't hang out after school on practice days," Chris said.

"You're finally going to play a real game? It's about damn time," I replied making him chuckle, "Ravenwood high is known to have the best football team in town".

"Yeah, coach said that we were supposed to play our first game three weeks ago but since the guys weren't showing up, we had to postpone it."

"Did you guys find out what happened?"