Chapter 17: Ungodly

"So, what did you find about the Soma Familia?" Ryuu asks as she gives the bolt lock a sharp twist, firmly locking the wooden door.

"First things first, Ryuu. Who is the Soma Familia?"

"The Soma Familia..." She frowns as she tries to retrieve any information from memory lane.

"Like the Loki Familia and Hestia Familia." Ryuu starts. "Their group is based on the Divine God  Soma, the God of drink."

"Okay. A wine God leading a familia in Orario." I mutter as I whip out some paper to take notes. "Anything else?"

"I didn't say that God Soma is heading the Soma Familia. I said it was based on the Divine God Soma." Ryuu retorted.

"Huh. What's the difference?"

"The difference," Ryuu continues. "Is that there are rumours circulating around Orario that members of the Soma Familia not worshiping their God, or rather they worship what he makes."

"He makes wine. So... they worship wine?" I ask confusingly. I heard of people 'worshiping' power, money, women even. But I thought it was a metaphorical term. Didn't expect people to actually worship wine itself. I mean, it's just bitter alcoholic water.

And not worshipping the Gods? That sounds a bit... HERETICAL.

"Yes, basically."

"I see. Imagine actually worshiping wine. It sounds stupid. Is the wine he create even special?" I ask as I put down my notebook.

"Well, I'm not sure. That's about all I know." Ryuu turns to me with one of her eyebrows raised. "Now it's your turn to start talking. What do you know?"

"A lot more than I bargained for, that's for sure." I sigh as I pulled a chair from the table and made myself comfortable.

"Doesn't matter if it's too much or too little, I still want to hear it." Ryuu replies coldly.

"Huh, is this how you talk to everyone?" I joke. "I doubt you talk like this to your friends at the tavern.

"I don't have many friends. Besides, I've never considered you a friend. More of an associate, or an acquaintance." Ryuu smiles icily.

Ouch. I can only chuckle nervously as Ryuu takes a seat on her bed, just opposite of me.

"Now, stop beating around the bush and spill it." Ryuu says, her voice now stern.

"Alright then. Where do I start?" I ask.

"At the beginning, obviously."

"The group that kidnapped me and tried to get rid off me in the Dungeon, one of the members is also a member of the Soma Familia. So far, he is the only Soma member I can confirm to be a part of the Crime Guild."

"Interesting. There are whispers circulating on the streets that some adventurers already in a familia join the Crime Guild, lured by promises of riches and fame beyond their wildest dreams."

"The greedy bastards." I mutter under my breath.

"What else do you know?" Ryuu asks persistently.

"Just a few hours ago, I stumbled upon a couple of Soma members. They don't look like they are part of the Crime Guild, but they certainly weren't the best team. One of them was violently kicking the other, threatening to kill her."

"A her? Well, it isn't uncommon for you to hear adventurers linked to the Soma Familia argue or even fight with each other, for various reasons. I'm more surprised they had a female in their familia. That bunch of drunken idiots can't even tie their own shoes properly, let alone talk up a girl." Ryuu sighs.