♠Chapter 9♠

“Are you okay?”

 I stared at my salad blankly, having no type of appetite at all. All I could do was push the contents around in the container lazily.

 I didn't get to see her—rephrase; I got to see her, but she was unconscious. Of course I was grateful to see her breathing, but I wanted to see her with her eyes open and breathing. I wanted to hear her snarky replies and smartass comments. That's the only way I'd feel better about the situation.

 Despite her mom telling me not to blame myself for what happened. I can't help but feel guilty. It was weighing heavy on me and I really want to see her.

 After a doctor came over to her mom and I yesterday and told us that she was okay and that she was sleeping, we'd gotten to see her. She looked peaceful and the heart monitor was nice and steady, but seeing her like that did something to me.

 I was determined to stay there until she woke up, but eventually it got to that hour and her mother knew that I had work. So she convinced me that I had to go, saying she was on some heavy meds that'll probably keep her asleep for the rest of the day until today. So I left and I've been in a mood since then.

 Honestly, I was just waiting for this day to end so I could go see her, but it was dragging. It was just lunch and I had to endure the whole school, buzzing and talking about it. It got out that one of the victims in the shooting went to our school and that was all they could talk about. In every single one of my classes, that was the topic of discussion for at least twenty minutes of class. It was irritating to be honest.

 A couple people even asked me about her, since they know that I'm a little close to her. In response I just shrugged and kept quiet, because they all just want something to talk about. Of course, I'm not that big of an asshole to make them think that she's on the brink of death or anything, I let them know that she's okay, but otherwise from that, there's nothing else I can say to them.

 She wouldn't want me telling them, so I'm not going to. It's none of their business. All they need to know is that she's gonna be fine. I know they're not gonna give up though. The second she steps back into school, they're gonna be on her like vultures, trying to get it out of her. I'm gonna enjoy it though, cause I know she's not telling them anything.

 “Chris?”

 I blinked, looking up and looking around the table at the multiple pairs of eyes on me, “What?”

 “You good, man?” Nate asked next to me.

 I nodded, “Yeah, I'm fine.”

 It got silent after that and I busied myself with continuing to push my salad around aimlessly.

 “Hey,” Nate nudged me, “She's gonna be fine.”

 I nodded again, but then I remembered being on the phone with her and hearing the shot going off and her scream drowning out everyone else's. Then I could see her laying in the hospital bed. Just saying she's gonna be fine wasn't enough. I had to see her.

 I dropped my fork and pushed my chair back, causing it to screech against the tiles loudly. I reached down to the floor and took my bag up by the strap and got up, slinging it over my shoulder along the way.

 “I'll see you guys later.” I told them, stepping around my chair and pushing it in.

 “You want us to come with you?” Mariana asked hesitantly.

 I shook my head, resting my hands on the back of my chair, “I don't think that's a good idea. With the crowd and everything,” I shook my head, “I'll have to ask her first if she's okay with it,” I told her and she nods.

 “That's okay-”

 “Why would she mind? You're her friends right?”

 I turn to look at Amanda at her smug response. I made a face at her, “Why are you even in this conversation?”

 Her lips parted and her eyes widened a little, but she wasn't the only one who had that reaction. It took a lot or something really serious to get me irritated to the point where I'd be rude and they know that. So that's probably the reason why they were all looking at each other with wide eyes and incredulous laughs.

 She started stuttering out, “Wh- I'm just saying-”

 “Don't,” I cut her off hardly, “Don't say anything, since this is just a big joke to you. I don't want to hear what you have to say.”

 She lets out a choked laugh, “First of all, don't come at me and second, I'll talk when I want to,” she said and I rolled my eyes, letting out a breath, “You don't get to tell me when to talk, because you're letting some girl get between you and your friends-”

 “Okay, now you just draggin it,” Thion said, rolling his eyes and leaning back in his chair. He slides down on his chair and rest his arm on the back of Jess’s.

 “Right,” Mariana laughs a little and the other let out low snickers while trying to seem nonchalant.

 “How am I dragging anything?” She asked, her voice raising a little.

 “C’mon now,” he scoffed, giving her a look, “She more comfortable around him,” he gestures to me, “and asking her before having a bunch of people in her hospital room that she only knew for a couple weeks, is obviously the best move. It's really not that serious, sis.”

 “Exactly, it's called respecting someone's privacy,” Jess said.  

 “Why's everyone coming at me!” She exclaims.

 “You just,” Nate said, shaking his head, “Say dumb shit sometimes, but it's fine.”

 “It really isn't though,” Carlos mutter, shaking this head at him.

 I held back a chuckle and shook my head, “Later.”

 “Tell her I said hi!” Mariana called after me and I held up a thumb over my shoulder.

 “And get well soon!”

 They all started shouting nonsense across the cafeteria after that, causing me to grin and shake my head.

 Let's just hope she's awake.