♤Chapter 13♤

I don't know if I was doing good job at hiding how tired and worn out I felt throughout the whole evening, but no one pointed it out, so I'd say I did a pretty good.

 Throughout the short stay that my family had to take, which I kinda don't understand now that I think about it, I'd been through the normal, routined questions. How was school? If I had a boyfriend and what do I plan to do after school—do I plan on going to college?

 Typical questions that I think every teenager gets asked by their annoying family. I had to remind them that I was a junior in high school and not a senior, even though it's not a bad thing to be looking into things early.

 As for the boyfriend questions however, I just sat there and stared at my cousin, who was not even fourteen years old, who'd brought it up.

 She was always the one to bring it up for some reason. Especially since I was snapping Chris and that had me taking my phone up every other five minutes. He was at work, so he didn't get to reply straight away and I couldn't stop myself from checking every now and then.

 But either way, it didn't matter. As soon as her or her mother saw me typing on my phone, the question came up.

 “Texting your boyfriend?” Was the teasing and highly annoying voice that would come.

 She would bring it up like that but her mom on the other hand was more nosey about it than playful. She'd just outright ask me if I had a boyfriend.

 To which my mom would either say, “I wish,” in more of a warning way, give me a look, or she'd laugh that laugh that said the same exact thing; “I wish she would”.

 They honestly think that even if I was seeing anyone, I would tell them. I don't know if they think I see them as my best friends or something that I'd be open with them about who I date or who I'd like to date but they're oh so wrong. It wasn't gonna be happening and I think deep down they know that, but they're still hoping I'd open up to them. It was nothing I couldn't shake off though.

 But anyway, they were on their way at eight-thirty, seeing as the kids had school the next day and I questioned why they didn't just come on the weekend. It made no sense, but I didn't voice my thoughts.

 On a different note, it was nice to see them all the same. Despite my drowsiness, I did enjoy their company. They also asked me how I was doing and if I was feeling better. And they brought me presents. My aunt brought me a couple novels that she thought I'd like, which I was grateful for and my uncle just slipped me a hundred dollar bill.

 If I get paid for living, then I'm all for it.

 My cousins got me a get well card and a pack of pens with different color inks. I love those. And my grandma blessed me with food.

 I was kinda hoping that my grandmother would stay though, but she didn't and I didn't say anything about it. There were times when she would stay with us for a couple days and the place would feel less boring with just me and my mom.

 After they left, the place felt a bit empty. It always does when they do. But I busied myself by getting ready for bed and figuring out how I was going to sleep tonight without hurting my shoulder. I slept really bad. As in, twisting and turning over on each side every couple of minutes. I can never sleep soundly.

 I flipped the page in my book, smoothing it out with my palm. I told myself I wasn't going to read the book tonight, that I was tired and I should rest. But then I read the first line and…

 It was one of the books that my aunt had brought for me. It was a vampire romance and those were my weakness.

 There was a soft knock at the door, then, “Go to bed.”

 I jumped a little, my head snapping back as I looked up at the door. It wasn't even open, so I don't know how she knew I was up.

 I made a face, not responding. I hope she'd think I was already sleeping and leave but then the door pushed open with a squeak.

 She leaned against the door frame with a look, “Go to bed.” she said again.

 I let out a breath, “Fine,” I mumbled, placing a bookmark in the book and closing it. I set it down on my bedside table and turned off my lamp, leaving the room illuminated by the string of white lights I had on the wall above my head.

 That's when I figured it was the lamp light that gave it away and shook my head. I kicked out my covers and slid down onto my back slowly before settling on my side.

 “Goodnight,” my mom said lowly and I returned the favor, “I love you,” then she closed the door and I listened to her footsteps fade away.

 I let out a breath, willing myself to get comfortable, but couldn't. I was still thinking about my book, then I started thinking about school in the morning and how that was gonna go, then for the next hour I had to carefully maneuver my body to find a position that I could sleep comfortable in.

 Story of my night.

♤♠♤

 The next morning I woke up earlier than normal. At four-thirty exactly. Because I knew that I was gonna have a hell of a struggle trying to do anything and everything.

 My morning had started off with me taking a slow shower. Trying to wash my body thoroughly with a next to not working shoulder was very difficult. It didn't take me an hour but it took me longer than usual.

 Then because I knew it was definitely gonna take me the whole morning, I didn't get dressed in the bathroom like I always do. I went to my room, wrapped in a towel and then I struggled.

 I was in the middle of trying to put my shirt on when my mom came in.

 "What are you doing?” She said.

 I spun around with my shirt half on and said, “Getting dressed.”

 “You're not going to school.” She said.

 “What?” I asked, confused, “Why not?”

 “Ariana, you can hardly move your arm. You're staying home. You're supposed to be resting and getting better,” She said, walking into the room and went over to my full length mirror.

 I held back from rolling my eyes at her usual antics, “I'm fine. As long as I take my medication. They last six hours anyway, that's the whole day-”

 “No,” she cuts me off, “So I suggest you just get back to bed.”

 I groaned, throwing my head back, “Mother,” I whined, flailing my good arm back and forth, “I've been out of school for two days. Two days is not good. Can you imagine my grades and it's worse that it's only a month or so into school,” she gave me a blank look in return, “C’mon please. I can't just sit here. As much as I hate the place, I need my education.”

 “And you're not gonna learn much if your shoulder starts bothering you in the middle of class either.”

 “My meds last six hours and I'll have them call if I'm not feeling good,” I told her.

 “That's why you should stay home.”

 “I might just stay here and die,” I said without thinking.

 “That's not funny,” she said blankly.

 “I'm just saying,” I groaned, “I can't stay here. I want to go to school. I'm okay to go to school.”

 She lets out a breath, “Ariana…” She shakes her head before tilting it back a little, toward the ceiling.

 I pouted, “Please.”