♠Chapter 43♠

CHRIS

"Ready?" Thion's arm draped over my shoulders as we walked down the hallway.

"She'll say no," I told him again.

My eyes stayed glued to the back of Ari's head. She was a couple of feet in front of us, occasionally getting lost in the crowd with her arm looped with Julia's.

The guys and I had the idea that this year, instead of all of us just agreeing to go together or finding dates, we were going to ask the girls to go with us—collectively. No one was one-on-one, it was still us as a group but this way we're all going together but individually. It makes no sense but a lot of sense. We're all each other's dates basically and no one's linked to one person.

"She doesn't want to go to prom," I said firmly. "And I rather us not ask her if I already know the answer." I really just wanted to dodge the rejection and disappointment altogether. "And you remember what happened the last time I-"

"Rich, I'll punch you in your throat right now, don't even start that shit." His arm tightened around my shoulder and I rolled my eyes. "That had nothing to do with you and everything with that crazy fucker. Chill out." He jerked me playfully, but I really didn't have a great history with asking Ari to school dances. The first time was enough.

"Besides," he continued, "we should just walk up to the table and tell her to move so we can ask the rest of the girls to go to prom?" I didn't say anything because he was right. He always was. "It'll be aight. We're gonna ask her anyway. Cool?"

I nodded, but all I could think was that she was going to say no. I really didn't want her to because I can't...

Prom will be a nightmare without her, and I'll end up being an asshole on a low the entire night until my friends kick me out.

Thion laughed like he could hear my thoughts and steered me down the hall as the girls disappeared through some double doors toward the staircase.

"Come on," he said. "the guys have the flowers and stuff ready."

He jerked me lightly—playfully. I shook my head with a laugh and shoved him away.

"Get off me."

Grinning, he laughed and pulled me back into him. I shook my head again, but I couldn't help my amusement. Thion was one of the most affectionate guys I've ever met. It's overwhelming sometimes.

"You know I don't swing that way," I said mockingly, still trying to get out of his hold only for him to wrap both his arms around my shoulders.

Kids stared without a care as we went down the halls. It was a lot more than usual ever since those photos and videos circulated the school with Thion and Nate.

And because I'm not as unbothered as my friend, my face got hot with embarrassment. Not with what happened between the two, but just the staring in general. There are times when it unsettles me a lot more than others.

"Could've fooled me. You blushing," he shot back and I knew he had to be grinning wider.

"Cause people are staring too hard."

He made a sound, dropping one arm but keeping the other loose around my shoulders. "You'll get over that soon."

That was one thing he kept saying and it all had to do with me going to college and how I'm going to miraculously change when I do.

It was my turn to make a sound. I didn't believe his prophecy, but I didn't disagree with it entirely either. It's going to be a whole year away from home, by myself, making my own decisions and being surrounded by people doing the same, so it's not impossible.