♤Chapter 22♤

“Why am I here?” I asked myself, looking around the empty school lobby.

 “I lied and told you there was gonna be food,” Chris said.

 “You what!” I exclaimed, turning to him.

 He laughed, “I'm kidding. There's food in the caf.” He stepped away, eyeing me as if I was gonna attack him and I was, two seconds ago.

 We were attending the school's annual bonfire. And this will be my first and last time attending. Whenever Chris and his friends decide to go to a school event, which seems like at least once every week, he tries his damn hardest to get me to tag along.

 He usually brings my mom into this. And then whenever I tell him no, she tries to get me to ‘go out more’, which mostly means to attend school events. And sometimes it works. If there's food.

 “You're irritating. I was about to walk home,” I told him, brushing past him and going for the stairs.

 He laughed, “You were actually about to fight me.”

 “I was,” I said over my shoulder, “I was not gonna stay here and not have anything to eat. And I'm not going back outside,” I told him.

 “Are you serious? That's where the party is,” he said, almost whining.

 “It's cold out,” I told him.

 “That's why there's a frickin fire, genius.”

 “Yeah well, you can go enjoy the fire, but I'm good staying inside,” we got to the second floor and he walked next to me.

 “You're boring,” he said. We came to a set of double doors and he pulled it open, gesturing for me to go first.

 I thanked him and when he was next to me again, I said, “But you always invite me places though.”

 “So?” He said and I could tell he was making a face.

 I grinned to myself and I asked him what people do at bonfires. After that he just started telling me all that goes on since he's been to this before.

 We got to the cafeteria and I groaned when I saw how crowded it was. I turned back around to leave, only for Chris to place his hands on my shoulders and turn me back around.

 “I need to pee!” I lied, my shoes squeaking against the tiles as I resisted.

 “Nope,” he chuckled, pushing me into the caf with his hands on my shoulders.

 I groaned again, “I need to use the bathroom,” I spun and tried to walk around him. He caught me by my shoulders again, “Stop,” I hissed lowly and he shook his head, “I need to go.”

 “No you don't. You wanna have fun,” he said enthusiastically.

 “I hate you.”

 He nodded and draped his arm over my shoulders, turning me back around. He pulled me into his side and he led us into the caf.

 “I know,” he said, sounding proud like that's a good thing.

 I tried not to look at anyone in disgust but I could feel it on my face that I wasn't doing a very good job at it.

 He steered us around the tables, chairs and people all the while saying hi to a couple people that he knows.

 I noticed that he was going toward the back of the room where the back doors were and I stopped, shaking my head.

 “Ari, come on,” he said, turning to stand in front of me.

 I shook my head, seeing the amount of people out there and the large fire on the other side through the floor to ceiling windows.