Make Metal Bleed

A/N: Thank you for the reads, votes, and comments which brought this story into #1 in category Shigatsu Wa Kimi no Uso!

Enjoy!

January 29th, 2019. Osan Air Base, Pyeongtaek, ROK

"Emi, I'm sorry.. I should be the one who take that missile.." Kousei sobbed in front of Emi's grave in Chidorigafuchi National Cemetery. An attack on a formation of KPAF/PLAAF strike aircrafts with fighter escort over the Mount Paektu has gone wrong, with her F-15 was hit by a missile from a KPAF J-10 in a process and she was unable to eject. Even Kaori's passing years ago was somewhat less crushing for the pianist-turned-pilot.

Then, as he stood up, he felt an intense pain in his chest and collapsed in full view of the mourners, including his commanding officer, his parents and Emi's.

Knowing that he suddenly had a heart attack, they rushed him to the nearby hospital. Despite efforts to save him, including heart transplant, he died in the process.

He had lost a will to live a moment his Emi was killed.

"You are a true warrior, Arima Kousei.." Floating away, he can see the head surgeon paid his respect as he stared at Kousei's body.

It's a great loss for both the Japanese music world and the world of military aviation.

Another victim of "Broken Heart Syndrome", he was buried, with honor, beside his beloved Emi.

---

Kousei awaken inside his room in one of the base's bachelor officer quarters, 10 miles from the base, then he decided to wash his face for some calming effect, just as someone knocked his door.

"Okaeri" (come in) he replied.

"Watari?" The door opened revealing his male best friend and fellow pilot. The Japanese 2nd TFS which Watari is part of, are currently assigned to Osan along with the 4th, Kousei's squadron.

"Bad dreams, mate?" Both man are now sit atop Kousei's bed.

"Still the same thing"

Watari can only looked at Kousei's eyes in silence as he already knew what kind of dream Kousei is referring to.

"Maybe you should see your chaplain or the squadron shrink." Watari suggested.

"You know me too well, I'll do it for sure after my mission today. Thanks for the help!" Kousei smiled.

---

Another day, another combat air patrol. This time "Symphonia 1" is orbiting over Chongju, on the West Coast of North Korea, accompanied by an American flight of the same type to cover strike assets supporting Coalition's defense of the port city against Resistance Axis forces, this time led by Cuban 63rd Mechanized Division backed with North Korean tanks and artillery. For this mission, Kousei was assigned as the element leader with Capt. Kotori Minami as his wingman while Emi was in standby alert with Symphonia 2 in Osan, ready to be airborne.

"Black Rock to all planes, be advised, we have contacts bearing 080 heading west-northwest. Identified as Fulcrum-Fs. Second group, bearing 120 heading east-southeast, Flanker-C, currently being engaged by an allied flight. Angels 20, engage at will." said a Spanish-accented controller aboard a NATO E-3 Sentry AWACS assigned in the operation, escorted by a flight of French Rafales.

"Copy that Black Rock, intercepting enemy fighters." said the current Symphonia 1 flight leader, Major Nara "Kestrel" Konishi, celebrated his 32nd birthday two days ago, with current score of 7 kill.