Chapter 19 -Second Chance

Gaston had been released from the tower over two months now. He had apologies to Belle for being disrespectful to her and to Plumette for trying to bribe her. Today he was supposed to accompany Adam to a meeting. Today he was about to prove himself to be as good as any other person in the castle.

They had arrived at Monsieur D'Arque's cabin. The men sat down to have a chat about the town's affairs.

"I have decided to cut all taxation from the villagers. Able bodied men will help bring stock and they will be paid generously for it. Also, widowed women with young children will receive money from the  castle's banquets and both boy and girl is allowed to be educated. Queen Belle's rule. I believe that to be fair." Adam tells the older man.

"Me too. " Gaston backs Adam up

"I'll agree with everything else except the last one. "

"Why not it's not like you're gonna teach them?"Adam asked demandingly.

"She should stop trying so hard to help everyone. Doesn't matter if she is Queen or not. "

"You people really are horrible, no offense, you know Belle and I are the rightful rulers of this province so if you think you can tell us what to do with our lives, you  couldn't be more wrong. "

"Very well and how bout you Gaston, what do you think about Belle's school, is it right?

"It's good that she's doing this, she is giving me a chance that I probably don't deserve so if she wants to have a school, let her have it. "

"I can't believe you, only men are to be educated, women are supposed to be wives."

"That's what I thought at first, but when something doesn't go your way, you try to be reasonable. Belle's persistent way of wanting to be her own woman was strange for us all, if you keep being simple minded about life you'll never know what's going on outside. There are great things outside this provincial town. "Gaston spoke in defense of Belle.

"You know, you're not that bad"

"Why thank you "

"I will come to that castle and I will put a stop to that school. "

"Over my dead body " Gaston protested

"Yes, over his dead body " Adam backs up

D'Arque keeps quiet, Adam and Guston heads back to the castle to warn everyone of the village Headmaster's plan

"So he's trying to get rid of my school ?"

"Yes"

"And you both threatened him on my account? "

"Yes "

"So what's the plan ?"

"Well we best be prepared for anything, I'll keep watch outside. Belle you need to move around company. Adam I need you to warn the rest of the staff we don't know what he could be capable of. "

They both listen to Gastons plan. Belle hugs him in gratitude for his kindness. He passes out. He didn't expect that to happen. He is on his way to being a better person, he can't wait to tell Lefou.