The Girl With The Blue Eyes

#The night before my first day of junior year, I stayed up late reading Looking For Alaska. "I go to seek a great perhaps." The book said. I believe that you have to be great to seek great things and unfortunately the only great thing about me is my eyes. My electric blue eyes. The doctors say that I'ts not not the type of blue that you find on a eye color chart. It's not the type of blue that you pick on a video game when you costomize you avatar. The doctors told me that as far as they know, I'm the only person in the world with this eye color. But with something great comes something not so great. These were the same doctors that told me I would be mute for the rest of my life.

All around my house there are notepads and pencils. several in each room. The only time when my mom shouts in the house is when she asks me to come downstairs or any other command that I dont have to respond to. It's not like I would be able to anyway. The only sound that I have heard come from my mouth in the past 12 years is laughter. Laughter in my way of knowing that I still have a voice.

Right before I was about to put my book up and go to bed there was a soft knock at my door. My mothers face peered from behind the door.

"Hon you need to get to bed. You have school in the morning." She reminded me.

Okay mom. I said to her in my head. I do that often.

I gave her a smile and a nod then turned off my light.

...

The next day I got up and did my morning regiment (shower, brush my teeth, wash my face). Then I went downstairs for breakfast. My mom like always, was in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove, cooking eggs, bacon, and waffles. I prefer waffles over pancakes.

"Good morning hon, you ready for school?"

I nod my head.

"The principle called saying that there was a new teacher that he had to explain to about you speech disorder. All the other teachers knew but he told me that it shouldn't be a problem."

I gave her a nod. I pretty much knew all the teachers at the school. I am a very independent teenager and sort of a teachers pet. I don't get in trouble and my grades never go below the failing average.

Are you going to pick me up? I wrote down on the pad next to me and showed it to her.

She looked down at the paper as she worked. "I don't know yet. I'll text you when I do though."

I nodded. She placed a plate with two strips of bacon, some eggs, and two waffles in front of me then went upstairs to finish getting ready for work. My mom didn't have to work much because it was just me and her, but even then she still needs enough money to provide for everything we need plus want. So when she does work It's all day and shes off on weekends.

After I finished eating, I grabbed my bag, wrote a note for my mom telling her I was walking to school, and left. We only lived a few blocks from the school, so I always walk.

I live in a town in New York. Not a small town, but a fair sized town. We're only about 40 minutes from New York city.

I walked along the slightly busy street while waving at some shop owners that I knew. When I got to the school I noticed how everyone would run up to their friends talking about how much the missed them. Not me. I didn't have any friends to harass me on the first day of school like every one else. I'm just me, Scarlette Rose. The girl with the blue eyes. Which, even then, some people hate me for.

I went to the front office to receive my class schedule. The lady behind the desk, who's name I don't care to remember, was a woman fit for opinions. She was sweet. Too sweet. The kind of sweet that makes you want to punch them in the face. I would complain to my mom all the time, I even came up with the theory that she was an evil bitch witch sent from the depths of hell to kill me with kindness. Some of the girls here actually like her because she will tell them how they look before school. You know, to get a second opinion. A terrible second opinion.