Chapter 35

I got accepted to 5 out of 8 of the colleges I applied for. Even Stanford, the main college I want to go to. I was surprised when I got accepted. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford a big-shot college like Stanford. So I was even more surprised when they offered me a scholarship.

I know it's rare to get scholarships period. But to the college that you've always wanted to go to? Unheard of. I wanted to shout on the highest rooftop. I hugged the letter to me chest and smiled with glee.

"This calls for a celebration." My mom reached for one of the cabinets and grabbed a bottle of red wine.

Mom I can't. I'm 17.

"You're going off to college, it's only one glass, you'll be fine."

How could I pass it up? Having a drink with your mom is something everyone needs to do at least once in their life. Right?

The first sip was odd. I expected it to burn, like how they describe it in books but it tasted fruity and glided down the back of my throat. I could hardly believe this was alcohol, maybe that's why people get addicted to it.

After finishing my glass I go upstairs to get ready for bed. In a week I'm flying out to San Francisco to look some apartments. I might not be moving into an apartment right away, I still have time to contact the campus and pay my dorm fees. My mom thinks I should get a feel of the city before I actually go there permanently.

Tossing and turning in my bed all I can think about is that kiss. He actually kissed me. Thinking about it brings back the tingle. He was so gentle, it made feel safe, warm. I start crying. I would actually consider skipping college and staying here if it meant being with him forever. He told me he loves me. I can't leave him hanging.

The day before I leave I drive down the all too familiar road. I knocked on the door and of course Tristan answered.

Where Is Eli? I asked.

"Out?" He said it like a question.

Good. We need to talk.

"There's nothing for me to say. You know how I feel and you obviously don't return the feelings." He shrugs sadly.

Tristan's POV

I do! More than you know! I've been hooked since the first day I saw you, but you were...well...a teacher and much older than me. .I thought everyone had a crush on at least one teacher in their life, but after a while I knew that it was so much more than that. And I went out with Eli because I never had a boyfriend before and I wanted the experience and I know I told him I loved him but it's you. it's always been you. I. Love. You! I've loved you since before Eli and I broke up. 

"Then why did you run?" I asked. I'm shocked. She actually loves me.

I don't know. I was confused.

"Was?"

Yes, I know what I want now.

A smile crept on my lips. It's me. It has to be me. She has to stay with me.

I can't stay. I want a career, I want to go to college, focus on my future. All the things that I can't do here. I go at a scholarship to the college of my dreams. That just reminds me how bad I want this. I can't stay. I have to go. If things were different, if you were coming to Cali with me, but you're not. You can't. You have to stay here and get Eli through another year of high school. You have to continue teaching cause you're a damn good teacher, and maybe in a few years you can find me and we can catch up and be together. But I'm moving to San Francisco permanently, and you're not coming with me and we just need to accept that.

She's right. She is absolutely right. I can't just drop everything and go with her to the other side of the country. I could but I can't. Who am I to interfere with her future, her life? She deserves to be happy. She doesn't want a relationship and if that makes her happy then I would happily stay on the other side of the world for her.

I love you. She leans up and kisses me on the cheek. Then she's gone. I may never see her again. The only woman I've ever loved wants a future more than a relationship and that surprisingly makes me love her even more. She's strong and intelligent and kind and beautiful. She's my dream girl. But I lover her enough to let her go and live the life she's always wanted to live.

(Okay there are 3 more chapters left so hang in there. So do you guys want me to update the next 3 days or do you want me to just continue the schedule? The chapters are pre-written by the way. Let me know. So until whenever, happy Thrusday!)