Chapter 7

The movie was not at all like I expected. That doen't mean that I thought it was good. I didn't like the dancing. It had no meaning behind it. It was just people dressed in as little clothing as possible spinning around on their heads or jerking all over the place. I didn't like the music. It had no words, no melody, and no meaning, just squeaky noises that kind of hurt my ears. I didn't tell Eli about any of this though. I didn't want to be rude or hurt his feelings, so I just listened as he talked about his favorite scenes and characters.

"Wanna come back to my place? The night's still young."

No I need to get home and get caught up on some homework. Basically study next weeks chapters so I can get the homework out the way and finish reading my book.

"Okay. I'll drop you off."

A 15 minute ride turned into a 5 minute ride thanks to Eli's driving. 

"Did you have fun?" My mom asked as soon as I stepped through the door.

I just shrugged. I was able to stay awake so I guess that was good. I pointed to the stairs and my mom nodded her head. I went up to my room and started my homework.

The next day I was exhausted, I almost fell asleep during English while we were reading Romeo and Juliet. I knew that as soon as I got home I would crash.

During free period Mr. Smith came into the library.

"Hey Scar, I knew I'd find you here."

Well you found me, what's up?

"I don't have much time but I need you to stay after class today. And Eli will be there to take you home after I'm done talking to you."

I nodded my head.

"Okay, see you in class." He said and he was off.

Staying after school for some unknown reason was terrifying not to mention awkward, but here I am, in Mr. Smith room, after school, exhausted, and ready to go home. 

"So I was talking with the principle," He noticed my shocked and horrified face. I pray to god I'm not in any trouble, but he was quick to reassure me. "You're not in trouble. We were talking about your grades and how you would have a better chance at getting into a really good college if you were in some clubs. Now don't get me wrong, your grades alone are enough to get you into a really good college with a scholarship, but a few clubs could get you into an even better one. What do you think?"

I think its a great idea and I totally agree with everything. Maybe I could join a book club or some literature club. My mom has been on my back for the past few months about being more social so this is good.

"Well the principle and I think you should be in a science club. We noticed that you don't really go above and beyond with your work in this class as you do in your others, I mean you do the work well enough to get A's, which is fine but we think a club could kind of make up for that. You don't have to if you don't want to."

I could be in a science club to be closer to you, but that's the only reason why I would join one. I thought.

I knew if I joined a science club that I would be joining for all the wrong reasons. Mr. Smith was not an ugly person, and I can't find it in me to scold myself for thinking that way because that's just how I feel. But since the choice is entirely up to me, I can't torture myself by being in a room with him for more hours than I already have to.

I think I'll just join a literature club seeing as I plan to major in journalism. I typed.

"Yeah, that works too, and remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to, but you're a really smart girl so you should have no problem keeping up your grades."